What is a good alternative Modem/Router?

Contributor
Accepted Solution

What is a good alternative Modem/Router?

[ Edited ]
by Contributor gr0unded Contributor
Message 1 of 9 (342 Views)

I have fibre with the HG659 modem/router. I use predominantly wifi, have a land line, and we need reasonable speeds to enjoy Netflix. I have recently been supplied with the Ultrahub which I have been told I need to take full advantage of the 100plan. However, reading some messages in here, it appears the Ultrahub is a bit of a dog with multiple issues and the firmware update promised since last November/December has yet to appear.

So can anyone advise a good, not too expensive, modem/router I can purchase that will be reliable and provide a decent level of service? We don't indulge in on-line gaming so I do not need anything flash.

Very many thanks

Chris

Staff

Re: What is a good alternative Modem/Router?

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 2 of 9 (337 Views)

Hi Chris

If you are not gamer and have no specifics the Vodafone provided Modem should be sufficient. As plug and play it works as it is meant to.

Also, the VOIP line is only authorized to be used over the Vodafone Gateway as the user credentials are automatically populated. These credentials are Vodafone credentials and cannot be passed to a third party modem.

I myself use a UH on present firmware and I am a gamer. Don't have any issues also I do many other things like wifi testing, pen testing, and numerous other interesting hobbies which in many instances wi-fi in many places as well as fully utilize the full bandwidth available for me. 

But if you really want to go but a router just for normal use you can prob get anything as a general user anything should work and there are 100s of them off the shelf in different places. But please be minded the VOIP line will not work as the credentials are Vodafone credentials.

regards

Dilhan

regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Contributor

Message 3 of 9 (332 Views)

Hi Dilhan and thank you for your response. I was not aware of the restriction regarding VOIP, so that is something to take into account. Do I ditch the landline? Hmmm.

On balance then, it seems I stick with the HG659 for now until the day the Ultrahub firmware is finally updated and then install that one. I don't suppose there is a reliable timetable yet?

Thanks

Chris

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 4 of 9 (317 Views)

Hi Chris

Something to think of on the land line I guess.

ultrahub has better wifi than the 659. also, security wise its more better because of the unique passwords per gateway.ideally, both are equally the same with ultrahub winning on the Wi-fi end on range,throughput and security.

the issues really do not affect normal user performance.

like i mentioned i ve being using and testing it for awhile now and dont have any major issues.

dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 5 of 9 (301 Views)

Thanks again Dilhan. It appears to me you are pretty clued in about these things so your experience with one may not match that of the average home user. The Ultrahub appears to have had a problem identified with losing passwords and dropping out of wi-fi as far back as October 2017. These problems were said to have been acknowledged and were to be addressed in the anticipated firmware update. So far as I can see from these boards, that firmware update has not yet appeared so, presumably, these problems still exist and may not be so easily dealt with my me as they would be by you. Does that make sense? 

Hence my reluctance to take the plunge with a product which is known to be buggy and may let me down. The last time I rang the helpline there was a 50 to 60 minute wait time for a reply. Not something I wish to increase the frequency of.

Chris

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 6 of 9 (287 Views)

@gr0unded

I've been running the UltraHub for quite some time, and have not experienced any Wi-Fi issues, not sure "buggy" is really true.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Contributor

Message 7 of 9 (275 Views)

Good evening Mike. I can only go on the experience of others, as mine is still sat in the box (or I will lose my landline again as I mentioned in another post), and that is what I have gleaned from contributors to "The Vodafone Ultrahub is here" and "Vodafone Ultrahub current firmware". What I have understood from these is that there are known issues which will be resolved by a firmware update which has yet to appear. If I have "over-egged the pudding" by calling it buggy then fair enough and I stand corrected .

Cheers

Chris

Contributor

Message 8 of 9 (164 Views)

OK, so I took the plunge today and attempted to install the new Ultrahub. Result? Failure. I changed the network name and password to the ones all our devices would recognise. The devices could "see" the network and said they were connected, but no internet connection. It went downhill from there and I am back on the old 659. 

I do have a question. With the HG659 I could use the same password for both the 2.4mhz and 5mhz connections, it was more convenient that way. The Ultrahub would not permit me to do that. Should it? Or do I have to establish in advance which device can connect to which band and set it up with a different password?

Will make another attempt tomorrow after factory reset of Ultrahub.

Chris

Contributor

Message 9 of 9 (132 Views)

Got the Ultrahub up and working yesterday, with the exception of the landline. I spent 50 minutes waiting for tech to answer my call then another 45 minutes on line. The tech was pretty on to it. She told me that the serial number for my ultrahub had to be added to the system manually, before the service could be pushed to it. She ended up having to remote in to my PC and weave a bit of magic. After another factory reset and a bit of fiddling I had a landline and did not lose my broadband , so all good. 

I do think the wait times are far too long but I got a good tech and a good outcome.

Chris

Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors