Vodafone Station 2 (SHG1500) Quality of service issues

Frequent Poster

Vodafone Station 2 (SHG1500) Quality of service issues

by Frequent Poster Paul Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 25 (6,518 Views)

Hi

I recently had issues with my HG556a, so vodafone replaced it with a Vodafone Station 2 (SHG1500), which is giving me some different problems and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced these.

When I uploaded anything such as photos or video to my hosting company my voip phones and internet radio stop working for the period of time it takes for the upload to complete.

I've performed a Google search for this issue, and all I could find was someone selling an SHG1500 on trademe and mentioned that it had QoS.

The problem is, I can't find any mention of QoS in the documentation or the web management interface.

Before I contact Vodafone support for a replacement, has anybody had any experience with this modem?

Cheers

Paul

Staff Lon
Staff

Re: Vodafone Station 2 (SHG1500) Quality of service issues

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 2 of 25 (6,514 Views)

Hi Paul - thanks for your message. The SHG1500 has QoS enabled via it's firmware - it cannot be enabled or disabled through a customer managed interface.

The issues you're having do not sound like they are modem related, however. Your line occupation rate will determine whether or not voice services run optimally on your connection. If you are maxing out your connection, there will be too much overhead for your VOIP service to continue to run. This could be due to a line fault or interference of some kind.

Have you reported this issue before? Has your line been checked for errors by a Chorus technician?

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Frequent Poster

Message 3 of 25 (6,505 Views)

My line speed is 14Mbps down and 0.94Mbps up, and a speed test seems to back that up.

The problem doesn't only affect my Voip services but also audio streaming.

I didn't have any problems like this with my HG556a. I'll put my HG566a back briefly tonight to see if this issue disappears.

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 4 of 25 (6,501 Views)

Thanks, it would be useful to have comparison results from another modem which is known to be working. Please let me know how you get on.

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

by vindy500 Starter Poster
Message 5 of 25 (6,459 Views)

I also have a vodafone station and its QoS is simply terrible. Downloading anything (and not just torrents) updates for the pc etc and the whole network just goes down except for that one user. Try playing any game (where bandwidth is not hugely important, just a little bit required) and you get basically no throughput at all. This is what QoS is meant to do. Pretty annoyed as now I have to buy a new modem as I got rid of my old one I replaced the vodafone station with. Why did I get locked into a year long contract for a rubbish modem?

Starter Poster

by mastersm Starter Poster
Message 6 of 25 (6,162 Views)

I am having the same issue crap QoS which I never had on the previous HG556a. Also sucks that Voda have disabled the SIP ports.

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Message 7 of 25 (6,053 Views)

I've gone back to using my old Vodafone Hg566a modem, and although it suffers from a different issue, it allows me to download and upload wihtout affecting other connections.

For example I could have an audio steam playing on my internet radio, and upload a 3MB photo from my phone to facebook or my photo hosting company, and it doesn't affect the audio stream. If I do the same on the Vodafone Station 2, the audio stream stops.

From other posts on here it sounds as though a replacement modem is unlikely to fix the problem, and it is an issue with the firmware.

tkc
Starter Poster

by tkc Starter Poster
Message 8 of 25 (5,968 Views)

You are not alone in this issue...

I have tried 8 types of modem from my 2 other vodafone modems to linksys, including my favourite modem from Draytek they all work with no issues when you upload something that all other devices gets timeout, specially when you are playing a game.. doing audio stream etc. But this vodafone station? I don't know when can vodafone fix this. I guess they are waiting or complaining to their supplier of this modem asking for new firmware that will fix this whole problem. I have already called them, letting them remotely see whats going on... try to show them the difference between my all other modems that i tried vs vodafone station. Although some of their tech doesn't seem to understand and just go with their SOP pathping tracert email thing.. but none of those thing really help at all. It is not about the network problem.. it is this vodafone station. I guess they should stop distributing this modem if its not fix properly.. otherwise.. many people will get into this kind of trouble and it will add up their problem in the future.. The previous modem seems ok than to this vodafone station.. up to now, i'm still waiting for the "firmware" that they are waiting.... I hope it won't take long coz i've been waiting for it for  almost 4 months now.. 

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Ex-TimA Retired Staff
Message 9 of 25 (5,957 Views)

Hi,

Could you please advise what firmware build you are using. There have been multiple fixes since the initial release. Your firmware should be V31 or above. If not please message me your Serial Number and i will update it.

Thanks

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team.
tkc
Starter Poster

by tkc Starter Poster
Message 10 of 25 (5,953 Views)

I am using ---> 

Firmware version
Stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 16 Contributors