Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

Starter Poster

Re: Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

by HollyC Starter Poster
Message 61 of 85 (1,358 Views)

Ok thanks.

Does feel like its a little faulty as it was working great for the first few months but then started to have a few issues without changing any firmware/settings -

- the above mentioned issues on the 5GHz dropouts / one device stopped autoconnecting.  

- then since the firmware update 5GHz seems to work better but 2.4GHz having some issues.

- also have noticed in the last couple of months or so that the speeds over wifi seemed to deteriorate if it had been connected for a few days.  Rebooting the router every couple of days resolved this, but then I started to get the issue that after rebooting it it could take 5-10 minutes for the internet to connect again.  And sometimes would need multiple power cycles to get a connection again.

That said I just power cycled it and it connected to the internet again in about 1 minute and wifi and everything seem to be working fine for now.  I've run wifi analyser software and there is no other conflicting devices nearby.  Just the neighbours 2.4GHz on channel 6 so I have mine running on channel 11.

So will keep monitoring and do some further testing from other devices tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Starter Poster

by HollyC Starter Poster
Message 62 of 85 (1,200 Views)

^Update

Had router replaced with another HG659 with latest firmware, wifi working great now. 

Thanks Chris for sorting that !

Starter Poster

by MarkRimasugCañas Starter Poster
Message 63 of 85 (1,110 Views)

Hi,

I was able to update and restored my previous settings as recommended. the problem now is i cannot connect to web management. my previous settings i changed web login to 192.168.100.254. even trying the default 192.168.1.1 the same result, nothing happens cannot enter web management. Please help.

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster David79 Frequent Poster
Message 64 of 85 (1,097 Views)

Hi Mark,

Can you still connect with WiFi or ethernet cable to the internet?

If so you should be able to find the current gateway address the router is using from network status (Windows) or System Preferences -> Network (Mac)

Let us know what you can see from your device looking backwards.

Here’s a tuition to help:

http://www.howtogeek.com/233952/how-to-find-your-routers-ip-address-on-any-computer-smartphone-or-ta...

Cheers

Starter Poster

Message 65 of 85 (1,079 Views)

Hi David,

Yes for both.

i have restored my previous settings so probably the IP is 192.168.100.254.

The problem is everytime i input the IP above or default 192.168.1.1 the browser just reloads and does not go to admin interface. therefore, i am unable to do anything e.g. edit password etc.

i will see the link if this can help me.

Also, if i dont restore my settings after update, i am not having internet. so im forced to restore my previous settings.

Starter Poster

Message 66 of 85 (1,078 Views)

Hi David,

Update.

Just found out that i am not connected to the HG659 router, i am connected in the other router.

Therefore, my HG659 is not detected now.

What to do?

Frequent Poster

Message 67 of 85 (1,068 Views)

Hi,

Maybe both are now using the same address?

If you unplug the other router can your device see it then?

Can you change the router your device is seeing to a different address in the same range.

So if it’s telling you now it’s on say, 192.168.1.1 then increment it by 1. ie 192.168.1.2

Conversely if it’s reporting 192.168.100.254 which might be what your reloaded settings dictate, then go down one point to 192.168.100.253 

(Just don’t set the final figure in the range of .10 to say .199 as these are often reserved for DHCP clients)

That way you will be able to see both at once without them clashing which seems to be happening now.

Failing everything, old settings do not always migrate from the config file.

You may in the end have to note all the settings down, do a full reset and then load the settings manually.

But hopefully some probing with your network tools can show what’s wrong. Remember when something is broken it’s usually a simple thing missing, it’s just a matter of finding that tiny thing.

Also a reminder you can’t have a DHCP server running on more than one location on your network. With two routers running, you have to turn it off on one of them.

Good luck!

Starter Poster

Message 68 of 85 (1,053 Views)

Hi David,

The other router is for fibre connection IP is 192.168.100.1. after checking the network details. if i unplug the HG659, internet is lost.

Scenario 1: after update without restoring the backup file, there is no internet. but i can enter web management through 192.168.1.1

Scenario 2: after update and restore, internet comes back either 5.0ghz or 2.4ghz, but i cant connect to web management.

any advice?

Frequent Poster

Message 69 of 85 (1,029 Views)

I’d try turning off the other router while you try to connect to the HG659.

Or just bring the HG659 next to your device and physically plug it in to the ethernet port and refresh the network settings. You should then be able to see what IP adress it is running off and then log in under that address.

I don’t know what devices you have available to you but I’m a Mac user from way back with very little experience using windows or its command shell.

Certainly on IOS there is a very useful free tool you can use to see all the network connections - Network Analyser by Techet.

With this you can click on the LAN tab and see what address your routers are using.

Also the traceroute command can tell you the internal hops on the way to the internet. The first one or two lines should be the routers inside your local LAN.

The paid version of Network Analyser adds the option to run a Traceroute.

Starter Poster

by k3nd0 Starter Poster
Message 70 of 85 (923 Views)

Hi Chris,

Sorry to jump on like this - a couple of days ago my HG659 just dropped the 2.4GHz SSID altogether. I thought it may be my old usb wifi adatper which is 802.11b/g/n capable. Went out to grab a new PCIe one for my pc which was dual band and the 5Ghz SSID appeared. Seems like all other devices running 802.11b/g/n dropped connection to the wifi. I thought this was odd as no changes were made (apart from calling Vodafone to upgrade to Fibre - I am currently on VDSL).

Both channels were on, I even changed the name of each SSID to see what devices would pick up on what channel. Only my new dual band wifi card and Galaxy S5 & S7 picked up the 5GHz channel. My old printer, tablet and laptop couldn't see the 2.4GHz.

I reset the router to factory settings using Admin and @ followed by the last 8 digits of the serial number....same result. This was with firmware ver 019....

Upgraded to ver 020 and got the same result....no 2.4GHz SSID visible (tried to connect with the old usb wifi adapter and printer). I have searched the forums for similar issues and I couldn't find a working fix except for a replacement unit? Are you able to help with any other things I can try? Wasn't sure if changing channels for each SSID would do anything as I can't even see the 2.4GHz SSID....which my printer and laptop and chromecast 1st gen would love! Thanks Smiley Happy

I have both the old USB wifi adapter and the new one hooked up so I can check which channels are visible and it seems like only the 5GHz one is avail via the new adapter.

Capture.PNG

Stats
  • 84 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 12 Kudos
  • 14 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today