Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

Regular Poster

Re: Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

by Regular Poster Jima Regular Poster
Message 51 of 85 (1,749 Views)

Would like some advice, please. I have the HG 659 modem/router for Vodafone VDSL. I have no problems with version B013. Wifi good, 65mbps down and 28mbps up, no interruptions, but fibre is now available and I am weighing up the pros and cons of swapping to UFF. If I go to UFF do I need to upgrade the firmware on HG659? Currently, I am a believer in the phrase "If it aint broke, don't fix it", so I have postponed all updates.

So, I would be grateful for a few words of advice from vodafone. Thanks.

Starter Poster

by MichaelHenryHurst Starter Poster
Message 52 of 85 (1,693 Views)

Hi.  i dont even have a option to update my firmware anywhere inside the hg659 router.  why is this?

Community Manager

[ Edited ]
by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 53 of 85 (1,679 Views)

@MichaelHenryHurst

Thanks for your post. Just checking you've logged in as admin and not just vodafone/vodafone?

Mike

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Contributor toa
Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Contributor toa Contributor
Message 54 of 85 (1,658 Views)

@MikeHales i'm running V100R001C206B019 on mine.

Whats the password for that software? Sorted now.....doh!

Cheers toa

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 55 of 85 (1,643 Views)

@Jima there's a few security fixes in B019, so absolutely worth an upgrade just from that perspective. Moving from VDSL to UFB can be worthwhile, it just depends on how you use the internet and what your current speeds are.

New Poster

[ Edited ]
by robmar_read New Poster
Message 56 of 85 (1,568 Views)

have upgraded recently to B020 and got the same "internet not connected" message on the home page. I managed to solve this by going into internet_vdsl settings and enabling only IPv4, instead of IPv4 + IPv6. 

B020:http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/24400/~/upgrading-vodafone-wireless-modem-firmwar...

Starter Poster

by HollyC Starter Poster
Message 57 of 85 (1,427 Views)

Have UFB.  Updated firmware last night... It has seemed to have improved the wifi for the couple of devices that were having trouble - 

- Android TV box would often not auto-connect to the 5GHz wifi, had to do it manually each time.  Not doing that now.

- Samsung S5 phone that was getting occasional dropouts. So far so good since update.  

Will update this post if that changes.

I have Fibre/UFB.  I also switched Internet_Ethernet from IPv4 + IPv6 to Just IPv4 which fixed the internet showing as connected on the status page.  

Just checking it is ok to change this setting ?  

And what is the 'onnet_ethernet' setting above that - just keeps showing as 'connecting'  do I need that on ?

Thanks.

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 58 of 85 (1,413 Views)

Good to hear, thanks for posting. Do you recall what version you ugraded from & to? And if you had separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands?

The onnet_ethernet and others that show as connecting are no big deal. The modem is built to connect on multiple different access types, eg ADSL & UFB; onnet_ethernet is another one (possibly for our own fibre, not sure). They'll just sit there waiting for a valid connection, but that won't stop the preferred connection working.

Similarly, the IPv6 will show connected if/when IPv6 is activated on your connection - so for now it doesn't matter to disable it but later it could be something you want.

Starter Poster

by HollyC Starter Poster
Message 59 of 85 (1,375 Views)

Thanks.

Not sure what version I upgraded from but I updated to the latest firmware late last year when we had UFB installed.  So whatever the latest one was November 2015.

Yes I had and still have seperate SSID for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

After a couple of days with the new firmware the 5GHz wifi seems to be improved and working better.  However I'm now having problems with the 2.4 GHz band dropping out / disappearing :/    It never had drop out issues before.

And when I try to reconnect to the 2.4 GHz one it says unavailable to connect to this network and shows it with 0 bars signal strength or it disappears completely from available networks.   And then it will come back sometime later with full signal strength again.

I haven't tried to fix this yet, haven't even reset the router, as people are using it at the moment.  Will report back with how I get on.  But any suggestions are appreciated Smiley Happy

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 60 of 85 (1,368 Views)

Hi Holly.

We've seen a few reports of the 2.4GHz channel dropping out. If you can do some initial troubleshooting like power cycle it and test with a different computer/phone, then PM me your details and I'll get someone to get in contact with you and we'll probably do a replacement.

ta,

chris

Stats
  • 84 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 12 Kudos
  • 14 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today