Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

Starter Poster

Re: Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

by Rarawa Starter Poster
Message 11 of 90 (3,719 Views)

I've updated the firmware and the update procedure went without a hitch. This long overdue firmware update seems to have helped the wifi dropouts that many have been experiencing. However as you can see by this thread the new firmware tells many of us that we're not connected to the internet, when in fact we are; so there is a glitch in this new version because it seems to occur for most (if not all) who have updated.

I had to do two factory resets last night after calling support because my phone wasn't working. Phone is now back up and working but the factory reset hasn't given me back the Admin password (VF-NZhg659). I want to change my DNS and can't do this without Admin password. I also tried the last eight digits of the serial number but neither worked and I was locked out for a minute. The normal user access of username: vodafone and passwoed: vodafone works but this doesn't give Admin access.

Any idea how i can get back the Admin password or will I have to try reinstalling the firmware and see if I'm prompted to change the Admin password?

Failing this can you make the old firmware available for download so we can go back to it while you sort out the issues in the new one? Thanks.

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 12 of 90 (3,713 Views)

Rarawa wrote:
I had to do two factory resets last night after calling support because my phone wasn't working. Phone is now back up and working but the factory reset hasn't given me back the Admin password (VF-NZhg659)....

Hi Rarawa

Assuming you're on UFB the phone service configuration would have to be re-downloaded by the modem, this would have taken a few minutes. The firmware update changes the admin password to @ and then the last eight digits of your modem serial number, e.g:

If your modem serial number is abcd0987654321
your admin password will now be @87654321

Thanks

Dylan

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 13 of 90 (3,699 Views)

Hi all

We're looking into pushing this firmware update out to HG659 modems that haven't been upgraded yet on consumer plans (not business at this stage).

I would be interested to hear how you've found the new firmware so far. For advanced users who've used the admin login the admin password is different after the upgrade of course and the feedback so far is that we need to make the new admin password more obvious, I'll be working on help content about that with Lon - anything else come to mind?

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Rarawa Starter Poster
Message 14 of 90 (3,686 Views)

I've had the new firmware for about a week now. It definitely has much more stable wifi. I've only had one dropout since I installed and the old firmware had daily droputs. You do need to make the change of Admin default password more clear. Say it at the beginning so everyone knows and doesn't have to go looking.

The firmware has a gitche that numerous users are reporting; the HG659 keeps reporting (incorrectly) that internet is unavailable. This will cause confusion and I'm sure will generate lots of unecesary support calls especially amongst inexperienced (most) customers. I would recommend you get that sorted quickly and roll our a quick update.

You should also make the old firmware available for people to go back to in case the updated one proves worse than the old, which can happen with firmware.

Thanks for the chance to feedback.

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster Topes Regular Poster
Message 15 of 90 (3,665 Views)

image.jpgWifi more stable just occasional drop outs.  Still have the ocassional DNS conflict and need to restart the router and getting the Internet. It connected. 

I navent bem able able to get 2talk working 

Posted from Apple iPad
New Poster

by stukay1 New Poster
Message 16 of 90 (3,617 Views)

Hi, Could you put up a summary for whats changed?, i am interested if this update will get static routes to block google dns to work

Starter Poster

by Doddsy Starter Poster
Message 17 of 90 (3,611 Views)

Have just done the update. Also have the problem with the internet status being shown as down. 
DNS issues look to be better - but early days
But my VDSL upload speed has halved from 10Mb/s to 5.

ANy ideas - or will it recalibrate the VDSL settings from scratch.

Starter Poster

by Doddsy Starter Poster
Message 18 of 90 (3,606 Views)

Managed to correct the internet status that you see on login. Disabling the onnet_vdsl connectionin internet settings did the trick - now the status correctly comes from the internet_vdsl connection. 

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster David79 Frequent Poster
Message 19 of 90 (3,557 Views)

Just upgraded with no issues.

I too was having instability issues with WAN and also had the router lock up at 2am overnight today - no internet connection at all on any wired or wireless devices, VOIP down also which is worrying as this meant no landline.

I'm on fibre since one week via chorus network in Wellington.

FYI I had disabled VDSL internet services in my set up so did not get the "not connected to internet" message on login page.

System log is still full of "DSL connection is disactive" messages (every two minutes or so)

Might delete the "internet_vdsl" option to see if this resolves it.

Will post again in a week or so to report on any WAN stability improvements.

Cheers

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster David79 Frequent Poster
Message 20 of 90 (3,553 Views)

My bad, I meant WLAN instability not WAN

BTW deleting internet-vdsl doesn't stop the "DSL disactive" logging messages

Stats
  • 89 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 12 Kudos
  • 14 Contributors