Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

Retired Staff

Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 1 of 91 (16,414 Views)

Hi everyone

A firmware update to the Vodafone HG659 wireless modem/router used for most of our UFB and VDSL connections is now available. The new firmware includes improvements to wifi, DNS, phone features like caller id, and adds some new features like guest wifi.

There is a small risk when upgrading firmware, so it is advised only do so if you have a particular need to and/or if it has been suggested by our technical support team.

Upgrading the firmware will reset some advanced settings, so if you have used the admin login to make changes please follow the instructions to backup your current settings. Please also note upgrading the firmware will change your current admin password to "@" and then the last 8 digits of your HG659 serial number, e.g. "@12345678".

There's full steps on our site here http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/24400/

If you have any questions please post a reply below or start a new discussion in the modems section.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

Re: Vodafone HG659 firmware update released

by BrentTopine Starter Poster
Message 2 of 91 (16,297 Views)

Thanks Dylan

Was just hopping on to comment on the issues I'm having around dropping wifi.

Let's see if this helps. 

Cheers

Brent

Contributor toa
Contributor

by Contributor toa Contributor
Message 3 of 91 (16,283 Views)

Hello, i updated the firmware last night, now the modem is showing no internet connection on the home page, but all appears to be working bar one pc.......any ideas?

Cheers

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 4 of 91 (16,199 Views)

BrentTopine - how is the wifi going now? Smiley Happy

toa wrote:

... now the modem is showing no internet connection on the home page, but all appears to be working bar one pc.......any ideas?

Toa - sounds like there might be an issue with that one computer. Maybe check the properties for the network interface and make sure the IP, DNS etc are correct? e.g. was there a static IP address allocated to it? Sounds like you might be looking at the status for a different interface if it says there's no internet connection but there's an internet connection - these modems have options for ethernet wan (used for fibre) and dsl (for vdsl and adsl) so you could be checking the status of another connection type.

New Poster

by hondaz New Poster
Message 5 of 91 (16,190 Views)

Any luck with the WIFI dropouts? I also have the dreaded dropouts

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 91 (16,183 Views)

Hi Hondaz

Yip, looks like it's more stable and my devices are all connecting without the need for reboot.  I believe (but haven't confirmed it's the upgrade problem), that my latency to the COD Black Ops 2 servers are slower and I can tell by the game play and seeing the ping inbetween rounds.

Also noticed that the router says I'm not connected to the internet and wants to go through the wizard.

Going to get Vodafone to turn off interleaving to see if it helps.

Starter Poster

Message 7 of 91 (16,180 Views)

Hi Dylan

I'm having the same problem on multiple devices, it's on the router as opposed to the PC.  It's when you log into the router itself it shows not connected to internet.

Cheers

Brent

Starter Poster

by maryu1 Starter Poster
Message 8 of 91 (16,142 Views)
I updated mine last night. Fix is long overdue
Posted from Samsung SM-N910U
Contributor toa
Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Contributor toa Contributor
Message 9 of 91 (16,124 Views)

Thanks @Dylan, Nortons some how freaked out and was causing the issue on the one pc. The home page on the modem is where it says internet is not connected, that's without logging in just viewing the status information. When logged in it wants to start the wizard. No biggie. Oh LOL, btw you should of let the techs know about the new login.....they couldn't access the router from their end till i told them it had changed, they got confirmation then were able to log in.

Starter Poster

by Rarawa Starter Poster
Message 10 of 91 (16,102 Views)

Well this is long overdue, especially given the wifi dropout issues that many customers were having. Anyway I upgraded the firmware this morning and it all went without a hitch and I'm hoping that it resolves the wifi dropout issues I've been having.

However tthe first thing I noticed was the same thing that many others have already noted in this thread, that when you log back into the HG659 as admin, it shows that there is no internet, even though all devices, including the one I'm on can indeed connect to the internet.

Given that numerous people are saying the same thing and it's likely we all have completely different setups but are getting the same gliche, it's probably an issue with the new firmware. If this gliche doesn't affect anything else it's probably livable but it may need a minor firmware update if it forces customers to keep running the wizard because it thinks it's disconnected. 

Let's hope we can get more frequent firmware updates to resolve issues.

Stats
  • 90 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 12 Kudos
  • 14 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today