Use My own Router (Netgear Nighthawk R7000) for FibreX Cable Internet

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Use My own Router (Netgear Nighthawk R7000) for FibreX Cable Internet

by nickryan Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (783 Views)

The standard router that Vodafone supplies has very poor coverage at my home for wireless so I'd like to put back my original router. Unfortunately I'm having problems getting the internet connection.

I've seen some advice that suggested I need to enable VLAN Tags and that's what I was told when I rang up. I've actually set that on in the Advanced Setup VLAN / Bridge Settings section and the default VLAN ID is 10, as advised in the articles I found. Makes no difference so there's some step I'm missing.

I noted the IPV4, DNS and Gateway settings from the Vodafone supplied router so I'm pretty sure those are correct.

I also saw an article describing how to enable the connection using Advanced Tomato but I found the instructions confusing and the dire warning about flashing turning your router into a brick were off-putting. Hopefully there's an easier way to do this?

Starter Poster

Further to that post, I now have my router working but the wireless is feeble

Message 2 of 4 (728 Views)

I flashed my router with the Advanced Tomato firmware which gave me access to the settings needed to make it work with Fibre X. That works fine and I have a wired connection of the 200Mbps download but my wireless connection has gone to pieces.

Before I upgraded to Fibre X I had good coverage of my whole house and the garden but now I barely get a signal in my bedroom which is all of 5 metres from the router.

I guess that there are some settings that are wrong but I'm not very clued up about such things so I don't know where to look. Can anyone help me here?

Community Manager

Re: Further to that post, I now have my router working but the wireless is feeble

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 3 of 4 (713 Views)

@nickryan

Thanks for the post.

Key areas to look at

Interference - if you have the latest models (phones, tablets etc), switch them to the 5GHz band

Location - anywhere near a kitchen etc will be poor, worth experimenting with placement

Channels - your neighbour may be using the same channels as you so worth spending a little time of trying out other channels.

Help below

Changing Wi-Fi channels

Maximise Wi-Fi

Troubleshoot Wi-Fi connections

Cheers

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Re: Further to that post, I now have my router working but the wireless is feeble

Message 4 of 4 (676 Views)

Thanks for the tips.

It is unlikely to be placement or channels as the router is in the same place as it was before upgrade to Fibre X and I'm using the same channels.

I'll read the other tips and see how I go.

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 47w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today