Ultra Hub ethernet port goes down for a few seconds and then up again

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Ultra Hub ethernet port goes down for a few seconds and then up again

by essay Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (815 Views)

I received a new Ultra Hub from Vodafone n April and it seems to be ok for WiFi usage (not wonderful, but acceptable).

I have a laptop that is plugged in to one of the ethernet ports.  Every now and then, the ethernet port would go down for about 5 seconds, and then up again.  For example, from the event log:

18.06.2018 8:48:27 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is up
18.06.2018 8:48:22 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is down
18.06.2018 8:46:47 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is up
18.06.2018 8:46:42 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is down
18.06.2018 8:38:22 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is up
18.06.2018 8:38:18 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is down
18.06.2018 8:29:25 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is up
18.06.2018 8:29:20 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is down
18.06.2018 8:28:18 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is up
18.06.2018 8:28:13 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is down
18.06.2018 8:27:02 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is up
18.06.2018 8:26:57 PM system Notice Network device 'eth2' link is down

Very frustrating!  Anybody else experience this?  I have made sure I have the most current version of the firmware (17.1.7875-2461002-CRF731), I even got Vodafone to swop my unit.  But it still happens.  I know it is not my laptop, because when I plug into a different network (e.g. at work), there is no issue.

I suspect the firmware - can somebody confirm whether the upcoming firmware update will address this?  When is it being released?

Business Ninja Adept

Re: Ultra Hub ethernet port goes down for a few seconds and then up again

[ Edited ]
by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 5 (808 Views)

To isolate the issue you need to swap out the Ethernet cable first. And also test with another device (not just your one laptop) to prove it's not the device/NIC on your laptop also. Also have you tried a different port on the modem?

I doubt it is a firmware issue but @Bogemon would be best to confirm on that.. 

EDIT: I have a device connected on eth2 interface on my ultrahub that has been up for a long time without the interface ever flapping..

THanks

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Highlighted
Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 3 of 5 (779 Views)

Hi There

This looks like you have the ethernet Energy savings is turned on on the laptop We have seen this on some Laptops that have 802.3az (EEE) or green ethernet having this issue. This happens when the Laptop OS makes the Ethernet to step down to LPI ( Low power mode)

lets break down the logs.

The link going up and down is the notification the RGW says that its lost the link. If it was from the RGW it would state something similar like " interface" not "network device" (For Gateways or systems that have a flavour of Linux running will as the OS it will call it an interface and the logs showing network device shows that it is not from the Gateway)

Also its the same with your replacement. Thus it can be isolated to the device.

For the EEE to be working both the devices need to support it. the other device you plug in, check and see if there is an EEE enabled on it. it it is not enabled then you will not be able to replicate the issue. simply putting the laptop driver is doing something that is not according to the standard. Quite common on Intel, Realtek and Marvell ethernet adapters or outdated drivers.

the solution is to disable this function from your device manager> ethernet > advance setting there will be an option there to have it disabled. 

the following link may not be for your laptop but has a picture of how it looks like and how to disable it. (this is for a Dell laptop running an Intel Ethernet card. if the feature is missing you will have to get a supported driver from you Laptop vendor.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/nz/en/nzdhs1/sln79684/resolving-issues-with-energy-efficient-eth...

Either you can do the above and talk to the Laptop vendor to give you a new driver. This is related to a driver issue on some laptops.

more info on EEE / 802.3az - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet

Also addressing your Wi-Fi.

If you have your Ultrahub in one corner of the house the wifi will not be the best. You can also check your devices' capabilities on wifi and sorts have a read on this - https://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/28739 for more information.

if you have anymore issue more than happy to analyse and help. If you can provide more information like your gateway serial and laptop ethernet adaptor vendor i can check a bit more on your wifi and your issue. 

regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

by essay Starter Poster
Message 4 of 5 (756 Views)

Hi there - SPOT ON!  I just disabled the Energy Efficient Ethernet setting and the problem was solved.  I have a Realtek controller and it seems to be a known issue.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 5 of 5 (741 Views)

Nice.. glad to hear that fixed it. I was thinking if i gave you too much info. Apologies if it was a bit lengthy!

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 25w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors