Ultra Hub as Access Point only

Starter Poster

Ultra Hub as Access Point only

by dummy1 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 19 (1,939 Views)

Hi there,

Is it possible to only use this Ultra hub as access point only? 

The main issue is that it comes with this dns catch all that I don't see where/how to disable it.

It's got that function to redirect people to the webpage when Internet is down, I think.

It catches every dns query and tries to resolve it itself and that's not the idea. I've tried disabling DNS Proxy but that's not it.

Ideas? Facts?

New Poster

Re: Ultra Hub as Access Point only

by JustinJadeCartwright New Poster
Message 2 of 19 (1,806 Views)

looks like their hardware is as crap as their support, 3 weeks with no reply!

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 3 of 19 (1,789 Views)

Hi There

I just saw your post. It has been built to be connected directly to the access method so it has a VLAN 10 tagging. With a lot of tinkering you maybe able to get it to work by connecting LAN to LAN and turning off DHCP v4 v6 off. It was built for a different purpose. In this scenario it may be just another repeater.

When you mention about the hardware which part are you commenting on?LAN, WIFI, etc??

DB

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 4 of 19 (1,787 Views)

Easy. disable DHCP connect a ethernet cable to one of the lan ports. job done.

Starter Poster

by barracuda Starter Poster
Message 5 of 19 (1,433 Views)

Hi Christopher. I did exactly as you suggest on my old HG659 and as well as changing the gateway IP address to a different number compared to my main router, it worked fine.

But I haven’t had the same success with the Ultra Hub.

For some context, I have a main Ultra Hub at one end of the house (in the garage) and a wired network connection to connect that to the other Ultra Hub at the other end of the house, where I need a strong WiFi signal.

Changing the gateway is my first hurdle - it doesn’t seem to like anything but the default gateway - 192.168.1.1. Changing the last numbers to .254 (to match my old HG659) doesnt work - I can’t even log in after changing to that number. Changing the number to .2.1 let’s me log in but I can’t get any internet access once I disable the DHCP server. I’m not sure if there are some other settings that I’m missing. Any ideas?

Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

by barracuda Starter Poster
Message 6 of 19 (1,426 Views)
I’ve just spoken to a Vodafone Ninja - they have told me that bridge mode is not possible on the Ultra Hub and that this functionality was specifically removed.

It seems that although the DHCP mode can apear to be disabled by flicking the switch, when checking the status it is still active.

I’m not sure why Vodafone have done this as it would be a perfect fix for my situation and likely plenty of others too.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 7 of 19 (1,378 Views)

HI All

Just to be sure we are all on the same page, The Ultrahub is a residential gateway device made to be the gateway between the service provider and the Customer. Thus the bridging functions is not a requirement for these devices. HG659 was a device that had the function but ultrahub does not have this.

The correct way to do this is to make sure there are Access Points ( built Specifically for extending wireless) which you can purchase from the Vodafone Stores and Vodafone Online stores. The Vodafone Wi-Fi extenders are such a device also the mesh product you can ask from the Vodafone store itself is another. Links for both are below.

Vodafone Wi-Fi Extenders

Mesh Product - Covers upto 420 square meters and supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

Both these units have being tested and work really well and compliment the Ultrahubs Capabilities

Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
mfb
Starter Poster

by mfb Starter Poster
Message 8 of 19 (969 Views)

Hi Bogemon 

I have Fibre100 using the Vodafone Ultra Hub. I need to increase wifi coverage in my house due to dead spots. I am very interested in using a Mesh system. In regards to the Mesh product you refer to above, and which is sold at the Vodafone shop, I have a concern. 

As you mention, the UltraHub cannot be put into bridge mode, (which is rather annoying), and neither can the Deco M5 Mesh system. Therefore the first Deco unit connected to the UltraHub will be acting as a NAT, as will the UltraHub, and therefore creating possible IP conflicts. 

You say that the product has been tested, how exactly do you recommend configuring the Deco Mesh combined with the UltraHub?

Appreciate your advise. 

Cheers.

Posted from Apple iPad
Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 9 of 19 (961 Views)

Hey There

The Deco Units use their own Ip addressing. Wont create a clash. Plug it straight to a LAN port and it will configure it self. The best way i always use is to grab a switch and back haul it using ethernet to the switch. so you can actually significantly increase your wifi coverage foot print.

something like this

UH-------Switch ----------------- Deco

----------------- Deco

----------------- Deco

or

UH ------------- Deco ------------- Deco

------------- Deco

or

daisy chain them

UH----------------Deco---------------Deco--------------Deco

I always prefer the first option as it gives me the ability if i need to troublshoot i just need to eliminate the deco fully out of the picture.

regards

Dilhan

Vodafone.

mfb
Starter Poster

by mfb Starter Poster
Message 10 of 19 (955 Views)

Thanks for your reply! That sounds great. I like the first option you mention. 

My house is actually wired with Cat6 to all rooms, and I have TP Link 16 port Gigabit switch, so the first option is my preferred. 

So before I purchase the Deco system, just to confirm, this is how I will set it up,

UH LAN Port————-Switch—————Deco

—————-Deco

—————-Deco

—————-TV

—————-AppleTv etc

With this setup, The Deco System would be used for seamless roaming of wireless devices eg Phones/Tablets,

my idea would be to turn off the UltraHub Wireless SSIDs so that all wireless devices are taken care of by Deco.

My permanent devices will be via Ethernet from the switch. Eg AppleTv etc. 

The Deco units would all be connected to the switch as well, via Ethernet cable,  essentially in a star configuration to enable backhaul?

If you could confirm that this would all work I would be very appreciative!!

Thanks for your help. 

Cheers. 

Posted from Apple iPad
Stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 34w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors