Ultra Hub as Access Point only

Staff

Re: Ultra Hub as Access Point only

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 11 of 19 (690 Views)

hi

you got it. Your config is very similar to something i setup for one of our VIPs. Smiley Happy ( even the switch is the same)

yep its better to turn off the SSID if its going to be in a cabinet. reduce interference and RF footprint.

Also just make sure the decos can see each other (wirelessly) as well, as it needs to know RSSI, and neighbour AP to do the mesh transfer properly. (some just put it so far apart and complain that it disconnects)

tip: connect and power on 1 deco at a time. ! but have them all next to each other when you are configuring it. then place them where u want it.

Use an wifi analyser to check the signal before you connect the second and third unit makes it much easier.

regards

D

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
mfb
Starter Poster

by mfb Starter Poster
Message 12 of 19 (683 Views)

Great. 

One more question that I have, with this setup would I need to put the Deco Units into Access Point Mode or can they stay in Router mode? 

Posted from Apple iPad
Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 13 of 19 (680 Views)

ah... i remember the app has a description of it. as you are not doing any PPP or IPOE or anything like that it should be in ap mode.. what does the apps screen say. can you give me a screen shot?

regards

D

Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
mfb
Starter Poster

by mfb Starter Poster
Message 14 of 19 (676 Views)

I haven’t actually got the Deco system yet or downloaded the App, I’ve ordered it and hope it arrives in the next couple of days. 

Here is is a screen shot from the TP link website for setting up the Deco in AP mode. There are 2 choices. Router Mode. Or Access Point Mode. 

8453A83A-DEAC-4736-9BE0-F86A885E9DBF.png

Posted from Apple iPad
Highlighted
mfb
Starter Poster

by mfb Starter Poster
Message 15 of 19 (675 Views)

Also see the following from TP link....

E912A141-A046-4DFA-8827-F3F4FAF58F17.png

Posted from Apple iPad
Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 16 of 19 (521 Views)

Hi

Sorry for the late replies. New member in the family!

@mfb@For the deco Units i have used both. I prefer router mode coz the all the functionality is there. AP mode is just and extention of WiFi.

the picture on the TP link shows something like a daisy chain. i prefer a star. like

ISP router> Switch--Deco

-- Deco

-- Deco

@PaulHafnerrouter is like your home router with wifi and all the rest of it. a switch is like this.

switch can be managed or unmanaged. If its unmanaged then just imagine it like having lots of extra ethernet ports so you can extend your network thorugh wires. ( thats what you usually want in the house) managed switches have some router functionalities.

regards

Dilhan

Vodafone.

Starter Poster

by PaulHafner Starter Poster
Message 17 of 19 (442 Views)

Thanks @Bogemon, and congratulations on a new family member!

Your explanation was very helpful. Do you connect the deco units by an ethernet star - and is there a downside to do it all by wifi?

I am now seriously considering a mesh solution to bring a stronger signal to my desktop (ultra hub and dektop are about 22m apart, on different levels, after a recent change).  I just saw that there is now also a "deco M9 plus" (not in NZ though). Any thoughts? Will Vodafone be marketing them?

Thanks again,

Paul

Starter Poster

by PaulHafner Starter Poster
Message 18 of 19 (528 Views)

Please excuse my ignorance :-)

What is the device that you call a 'switch' above? Is that what one can buy under the name of 'router'?

(I am trying to get my head around networking my home...and terminology gets a bit confusing; bear with me.)

mfb
Starter Poster

by mfb Starter Poster
Message 19 of 19 (427 Views)

Hi Guys

I have had the Deco system set up for about a month now and it’s running really well.

As per the TP Link picture below this is how I have set mine up. This setup allows for “Ethernet Backhaul”. 

09755AB2-C0B5-4C9F-BEFE-D704A4901FB7.jpeg

So the UH connects to a Deco Unit, which becomes the “Main Deco” or “Router” as per picture.

That then connects to my Switch, which runs the other 2 Deco units via Ethernet. I have also connected my AppleTv, TV etc via Ethernet to the switch. The 3 Deco units then talk to each other and provide my wifi network for our phones and iPad etc. 

I now have maximum coverage across my whole house as well as out in the back yard. And all the other devices are “hard wired” via Ethernet. 

I have turned off the UH wifi network to eliminate unwanted chatter on the wifi channels. All my wireless devices connect via the Deco wifi system. And I can seamlessly roam throughout the house without dropping the connection as my device swaps from one Deco to the other. 

Some things to conisider though:

As the main deco unit is essentially a Router, (as is the UltraHub) they both do what is called NAT (Network Address Translating). So you have 2 devices doing the same thing. Now this doesn’t actually cause any of my devices an issue however it may cause an issue with such devices as an Xbox etc. If I decide to get an Xbox or gaming device in the future, I will connect it via Ethernet directly to the UltraHub and therefore eliminating the double NAT issue for the Xbox. 

The other thing to consider, is you can also set up the Deco units without Ethernet and they still do the same thing, however there will be a small drop in speed as they use the wifi bandwidth for talking to each other. For most users the small drop in speed will be negligible. With Ethernet this is eliminated. (Ethernet Backhaul).  

Cheers. 

Posted from Apple iPad
Stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 42w ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors