Third Party Wifi Access Point only works with HG659 on a different subnet

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Third Party Wifi Access Point only works with HG659 on a different subnet

by vodayoda Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (1,524 Views)

Just got fibre installed and here's my setup:

Vodafone supplied HG659 in study, connected to fibre.  Two PC's and a NAS drive are connected to the HG659. It all works fine.

Wifi Router (with 4 ethernet ports) in the lounge connected to HG659 via ethernet connection. Vodafone TV, Apple TV (via ethernet), bluray dvd connected to Wifi Router

The problem:

The default setup for the Wifi router in the lounge sets up a different ip address range (192.168.2.1)  because of the conflict with the HG659 (192.168.1.1).  Effectively the Wifi router sets up its own subnet and DHCP server, so any device connected cannot see devices attached to the HG659 in the study. That's an issue because media files on the NAS can't be accessed from the lounge.  Wifi in the lounge works though, and wifi devices automatically swap between the lounge and the study access points.

I tried to get around this by setting up the wifi router in the lounge to be on the same subnet as the HG659 and disabling DHCP on the wifi router.  I was able to get this working so that the wired ethernet devices can all see each other, however the wifi function on the router in the lounge no longer works.  Mobile devices can see the SSID for the lounge, and they connect, but then the connection drops. It seems that the mobile device cannot get an ip address via the third party wifi to the HG659 DHCP server.

I've tried three different routers in the lounge (the last one being an ASUS RTN56U) with the same result.  

This wasn't a problem for my old ADSL Netgear DGN3500 modem.  I was able use either wifi SSID and everything worked on the same network. Not sure what to try next?

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Third Party Wifi Access Point only works with HG659 on a different subnet

Message 3 of 3 (2,222 Views)

Never did figure out why a wireless router with an integrated switch didn't work with the supplied modem.

I've resolved this issue by replacing the second router in the lounge with a switch (D-LINK 5 Port Gigabit DGS-1005A) and a separate wireless access point (D-LINK Wireless AC1200 Dual Band DAP-1665).  Now all devices in the house are on the same subnet and the additional wireless access point covers the whole house. 

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author vodayoda
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Starter Poster

Message 2 of 3 (1,462 Views)

Perhaps I'll ask a different question to resolve this issue.

Can anyone recommend a wireless access point that verifiably works over an ethernet connection to the Vodafone supplied HG659?  I've tried three different routers, but is there a basic wireless access point that will increase wifi coverage? 

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 3 (2,223 Views)

Never did figure out why a wireless router with an integrated switch didn't work with the supplied modem.

I've resolved this issue by replacing the second router in the lounge with a switch (D-LINK 5 Port Gigabit DGS-1005A) and a separate wireless access point (D-LINK Wireless AC1200 Dual Band DAP-1665).  Now all devices in the house are on the same subnet and the additional wireless access point covers the whole house. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author vodayoda
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 1 Contributor
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today