Technicolor TG789vn Access

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Technicolor TG789vn Access

by glenn_alex Starter Poster
Message 1 of 11 (10,802 Views)

Have just been set up with this modem and would like to access config settings primarily to change the wireless password.

Have viewed the manual which gives user name as Administrator and password as blank or the access key shown on rear of modem. Neither of these work. Phoned the Vodafone help desk, but they were unable to help. Suggested a reset of modem which I have done, but still no joy.

Can anyone help please.

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Technicolor TG789vn Access

Message 9 of 11 (16,345 Views)

Thanks for that. The modem gives the impression of resetting. It re-boots and takes some time to come on line again, but reconnects to the internet without any log-in required.

I guess I will need to phone the help desk and ask for a replacement as it is a Vodafone supplied modem.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author glenn_alex
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 2 of 11 (10,792 Views)

Hi @glenn_alex - sorry, can you please clarify what stage you're up to at the moment? Have you managed to log into the modem config console yet? Or is that the bit you're having trouble with?

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 11 (10,789 Views)

Hi Lon. I am unable to log in to the modem.

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff kmit028 Retired Staff
Message 4 of 11 (10,779 Views)

Hi there,

Have you tried "Factory Resetting" the router? When you factory reset the router, the default Administrator account and password should work.

Here are the instructions:

WARNING NOTE:
You will also need to reconfigure your router with your Vodafone username and password which relates to your broadband connection, if you factory reset the modem.

Reset the MediaAccess Gateway via the Reset button
Proceed as follows:

1. Make sure the MediaAccess Gateway is turned on.
  2. Push the Reset button for 7 seconds and the release it.

router.JPG

Once you factory reset the router you should be able to log in using the username: Administrator and password as blank or access key shown on rear of modem.

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 11 (10,773 Views)

Yes. As per my first post I have tried a factory reset. Does not help.

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 6 of 11 (10,771 Views)

Ah righto, I see. The username and password are usually printed on the back of the modem on a sticker.What have you tried so far? Username: Administrator Password: (blank) is standard for Thompson modems. If it is a Vodafone supplied modem, we often set the firmware to Username: Vodafone password: vodafone or username: admin password vodafone.

Passwords are case sensitive - so make sure your caps lock key isn't accidentally on!

If absolutely none of these , you will need to perform a factory reset to reload the firmware as it was on the modem when it was first formatted. To do this, you will need to push down the little reset button on the back of the modem and hold it down for 7 seconds.

Please be aware that if you have configured any Wireless devices they will need to be reassociated with your modem once this step is complete.

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 11 (10,759 Views)

Here is what I have tried so far.

User Name         Password

Administrator       blank (nothing entered)

Administrator       Access Key (from the back of the modem)

Vodafone             vodafone

admin                   vodafone

All of these come up as incorrect.

I have performed a factory reset (reset button on back of modem)

I then tried all the above log ins again. No success.

Incidentally, all wireless devices did not require re-setting for wifi after the factory reset. Maybe reset is not working?

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff kmit028 Retired Staff
Message 8 of 11 (10,753 Views)
Hi,
Unfortunately it looks like your router may be faulty, as it is not resetting after you push the reset button.

Normally when you push the reset button (factory reset button at the back of the device), the password protection would be switched off AND all your broadband/Wifi details would also be cleared. When your broadband details are cleared, the router will not be able to connect to the internet (as it needs your ISP username and password), same with the Wifi details.

But you stated that you are still able to go online and connect wirelessly even after the factory reset, hence the factory reset unfortunately did not work, and this may be the fault with the router...
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 11 (16,346 Views)

Thanks for that. The modem gives the impression of resetting. It re-boots and takes some time to come on line again, but reconnects to the internet without any log-in required.

I guess I will need to phone the help desk and ask for a replacement as it is a Vodafone supplied modem.

Solution
Accepted by topic author glenn_alex
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Starter Poster

by IsaacHastings Starter Poster
Message 10 of 11 (4,814 Views)

I'm unsure whether you have found the password or not but I have a technicolor modem and the default password combination is:

User: [Blank]

Password: admin

Try it out.

Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today