Surveillance system, port forwarding, Static IP?

Starter Poster

Surveillance system, port forwarding, Static IP?

by AaronC Starter Poster
Message 1 of 11 (1,945 Views)

Hi there,

I have just setup a 4 camera surveillance system and I can access it remotely using my home network, on mobile (app), PC and Mac. However if I want to access it over the internet, thats a different story. After a bit of unsuccessful battling, it seems I need to setup something port forwarding, and to do that I need a Static IP also?

I was wondering if anyone reading had setup their own streaming camera feeds, and could share their knowledge. Does it sound accurate that I'm looking into port forwarding and static IP purchase?

Thanks
AaronC

Ninja Master

Re: Surveillance system, port forwarding, Static IP?

by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 2 of 11 (1,940 Views)

Hi @AaronC 

You don't need a static IP for port forwarding, Search the community loads of threads on this very topic

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

by AaronC Starter Poster
Message 3 of 11 (1,938 Views)

Thanks mate, will do that. Its helpful to have a pointer, cheers.

Starter Poster

by AaronC Starter Poster
Message 4 of 11 (1,930 Views)

So this one here:

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-home-Wi-Fi/Read-Me-Port-Forwarding-on-the-HG556A-Vodafone-...

says:

Before you begin, you will need to obtain a Static IP Address

• For Vodafone Business customers: Please contact our Business support team to arrange a Static IP address. This service is included free of charge with all Business broadband packages.
  • For Vodafone Residential Customers: Please be aware that this service is NOT free of charge, and you will need to agree to an additional monthly fee on top of your broadband package for a Static IP address. Please contact our support team who will provide you with pricing information.
Starter Poster

by AaronC Starter Poster
Message 5 of 11 (1,851 Views)

Can somebody please clarify for me if I need a Static IP address? I have two conflicting pieces of information pertaining to this. Cheers!

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 6 of 11 (1,848 Views)

Hi @AaronC ,

Which modem/router do you have? You should not need a static IP to forward ports on your router. You may need one to access your system remotely, however, but this will depend on what method you're using for remote access. For example, I use Google's Chrome Remote Desktop feature, which works fine over dynamic external IPs. Smiley Happy

Check out the likes of http://portforward.com/ for more info - you may need to set a static internal IP for the devices you wish to access remotely. What is the make of your home surveillance system? There may be some info available about this specific setup online, happy to take a look for you.

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

by VinsonTarm Starter Poster
Message 7 of 11 (1,763 Views)

whats the brand of DVR system do you have? ive setup a few and know a thing or two.

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
Starter Poster

by AaronC Starter Poster
Message 8 of 11 (978 Views)

Hi everyone, I'm bringing this thread back as its finally made it around to the top of my things to do list...

I'm not exactly sure what end user experience I should expect should I manage to get this working.. but I'm keen to have a crack at seeing what happens. Heres some pics to explain my hardware environment. If anyone has suggestions on how to configure that would be great, thanks.

IMG_20151022_111928.jpgIMG_20151022_111941.jpgIMG_20151022_112001.jpg

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 9 of 11 (956 Views)

@AaronC

From that screenshot, it looks like a Broadband Complete modem - have a read of Lon's (of this parish) FAQ on the subject of port forwarding.

Hope it helps.

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

by AaronC Starter Poster
Message 10 of 11 (941 Views)

Thanks, that is some help..

I don't understand the ports and server stuff very well though. In my screenshots I have server port (7777) and http port (80)
In my router settings I have External Port start, and External Port end.
Then I also have Internal Port Start and Internal Port End. How do these relate? Is the server port the "Internal Port Start/End" and the http Port "External"? Also in this scenario, is my recording device the server, or my homepages account at vodafone?

It doesn't help that I don't have any example to aspire to unfortunately. I'm just trying to set up my security system so I can log in remotely. I don't really get how that works either. Does everything upload to my homepages account.. or am I somhow bounced back to my own recording device? No idea lol. Any help welcome Smiley Happy

Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 6 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today