Smart tv connects to wireless but not internet

New Poster
Accepted Solution

Smart tv connects to wireless but not internet

by Tim_robinson New Poster
Message 1 of 11 (7,976 Views)
I have a new vodafone connection, Samsung Smart TV, Netcomm wireless and Cisco Router. All devices in the house have been connected to wireless, router and Internet. Smart TV, which works on the old wireless router just fine, can connect to the new wireless but can't reach the Internet. It has a diagnostic that just says "Internet not connected" even though my iPad etc connect ok. Any ideas out there?
Devices connected include 2 mobiles, iPad, chromecast and laptop.
Posted from Apple iPad

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Staff

Re: Smart tv connects to wireless but not internet

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 7 of 11 (11,561 Views)

Hi everyone

It seems there are two workarounds for the Samsung issue, they're listed here:

http://www.myce.com/news/users-fix-samsung-smart-tv-time-two-workarounds-known-75148/

I'm not sure if these will work for users in New Zealand. If you would like to, please try them out and let us know how they go for you.

Thank you

Dylan

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Starter Poster

by Ilaisa Starter Poster
Message 2 of 11 (7,961 Views)
Interesting, have exactly the same problem since this morning. Samsung Smart TV been connected to Internet for a year, this morning displays "Network is not connected. check Network Settings to use Internet services". Going through Network Settings wizard produces "Connected to the [wired/wireless] network, but not to the Internet... Contact your Internet service provider to access the Internet" message. Happens whether connecting wirelessly or via Ethernet direct to TV. Mac, iPad, mobiles can all connect and browse.
Usual setup is Vodafone Home Gateway modem > wireless bridges > Smart TV via Ethernet from the bridge. Multiple power cycles of the bridges, factory reset of bridges, power cycle of modem, same thing. Smart TV via wifi (no bridges) same thing. Smart TV direct to modem via Ethernet same thing. TV gets IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS Server assigned.
AFAIK Samsung doesn't push updates to auto load so don't *think* anything has change on TV or TV Apps (can't connect via TV's Web Browser app or TVNZ Ondemand or 3now apps).
Wonder if Vodafone has done any updates which have resulted in Samsung TVs not being able to get data flow through???
Even changed Ethernet cables throughout, don't think it is hardware...

Any thoughts out there?
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by Ilaisa Starter Poster
Message 3 of 11 (7,847 Views)
myce.com and cnet reporting Samsung's SmartHub servers are down globally, same error message as this.
http://www.myce.com/news/smart-tv-mayhem-sony-samsung-users-central-servers-go-75137/
Looks like a waiting game for users...
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by AliciaS Starter Poster
Message 4 of 11 (7,845 Views)

Thanks for adding link that article. We have the same problem, keeps saying to contact your ISP but seems its a global sony/samgsung problem. Hopefully will be up running again soon!!

Retired Staff

Message 5 of 11 (7,818 Views)

Yeah - seems like they might not be having much fun today!

I see that Sony has posted a few suggestions on their community

http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/Sony-You-owe-me-money-for-blocking-me-from...

For Samsung - sounds like it depends on the country and product range, I'm guessing they might use different servers..? Anyway, there are some good updates here: http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-smart-tv-smarthub-suffer-worldwide-internet-outage-75099/

I've asked a friend in Samsung if he has any info for NZers, but please let us know how you get on and when it's working for you again.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

by Ilaisa Starter Poster
Message 6 of 11 (7,747 Views)

Had a Live Chat session with Samsung NZ, at least they've progressed to acknowledging something [incredibly vague]  is happening:

recommendation was using Reset function for Smart Hub to correct the issue, reset removes all downloaded apps, account user settings, takes Smart Hub back to factory default. 

"Your account, however, remains on the Smart Hub server. To log into your account, enter your ID and password on the Login screen."

"It means that all the application that was download will be rmove and you need to re download again after the reset."

"After resetting the Smart Hub, please observe operation within 24-48 hours"

erase apps that I then can't download again as I can't connect to the internet - I think not

observe for 24-48 hours - It only takes me a few minutes of trying to connect to the internet to know that I cannot

Think I'll wait to see what happens over next 24-48 hours before considering a reset, if it's a global issue I suspect there are lots of engineers very busy right now...  in the Samsung-specific thread Dylan posted there are some suggestions in the comments for getting online.

Otherwise, back to PC/Mac/iPad for viewing for a day or so

Highlighted
Retired Staff

Message 7 of 11 (11,562 Views)

Hi everyone

It seems there are two workarounds for the Samsung issue, they're listed here:

http://www.myce.com/news/users-fix-samsung-smart-tv-time-two-workarounds-known-75148/

I'm not sure if these will work for users in New Zealand. If you would like to, please try them out and let us know how they go for you.

Thank you

Dylan

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Starter Poster

by AliciaS Starter Poster
Message 8 of 11 (7,688 Views)

Success!

I changed the DNS Server to Manual, then entered 151.80.14.237 and all connected again.

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated to be back online again Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

by Ilaisa Starter Poster
Message 9 of 11 (7,657 Views)
Yup, success here too. DNS change ftw...
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by eves Starter Poster
Message 10 of 11 (7,645 Views)
thanks so much after changing to vodafone and fibre and no help from vodafone saw your post and tried and it worked YES. unfortunately had already reset my tv but so grateful to be up on internet again. keep up good work.
Posted from Apple iPad
Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 12 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today