Slow Wifi Speed ADSL

Starter Poster

Slow Wifi Speed ADSL

by jackhuang2017 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (546 Views)

ADSL with vodafone:
05/2017 current speed for vodafone=3mpbs upload                             isp side=average speed=10mpbs

05/2017 previous speed with orcon=2.4mpbs upload                           isp side=avrage speed=10-15mpbs

our location does not support VDSL nor FIBER only ADSL 24mpbs

my broadband troubleshooting overview and isolation test:

There are 4 things to check for an isolation test, they are:

• Jack point (phone jack or broadband jack point could be faulty inside the premises) 100% in working condition over 10 years!!

• Noisy phone line (echo, cutting out, static or interference) dont think so
  • Loss of broadband connection (unable to browse or time out errors) no
  • Throughput issues (Slow broadband, slow browsing speeds) browsing speed based on broadband speed=all the time hence slow net!

• Device (phone, fax machines, modem etc...) only device thats close to the modem is the phone device in the room 
  • Cables (extension cables, 2-way or multi plugs, broadband line filters) cables work 100% brand new from vodafone package since 05/2017 
  • Lines (lines could be faulty outside of the premises such as exchange, road or pillars) this might be the problem since our previous isp a few times it didnt have internet and once a technician came over and he check everything in the house it was fine then he went outside check the hubs ports whatever and less then 20minutes i have internet.

Steps

1. Check the jack point is working. 100% working over 10 years
  2. Check the device for any faults.  new modem less then a few days old 100% working net working everything working
  3. Check that the cables are okay  100% working less then a few days old

my question is could the previous technician changed something outside that prevent me having my average speed of 10mbps?

short story: been with orcon over 4 years+
first 1-2 years=speed was great not the best but it was great

last 3-4  years=speed was horrible called them keep saying my speed was slow their solution was: restart or reset the modem. done it more then 1000 times still same speed its a waste of my time to keep calling them and calling them and the wait time for them to reply is insane long with the phone call holds= happens with most isp so why bother keep ringing and ringing and i still get the same answers? restart or reset the **bleep** modem? ok

my area had a few power outage with heavy wind and stuff probably 1 time we had to ask them to send a technician due to no internet (yes that orcon technician above that i have been talking about he changed something outside our property im not pointing any fingers on what he did or how he did.

im saying is this the case about slow internet? something to do with the outside area of my property i think only technicians can access those areas.

also if that was the case? a outside problem then a technician is required that means i have the paid the technician fee due to a problem outside my area?

any information would help thanks alot.

Starter Poster

Re: Slow Wifi Speed ADSL

Message 2 of 6 (543 Views)

speeds with orcon previously: 2mbps=1 single user   4+=less then 1mbps
04.2017.png05.2017.png

current speed with vodafone:3mbps=1 single user   4+=less then 1mbps
vodafone.png

Highlighted
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 3 of 6 (507 Views)

@jackhuang2017It's either poor house wiring or you are too far from the serving cabinet / exchange for a better speed

Posting speedtests add zero value you need to understand the modem xDSL line stats, Check out this blog post over on www.geekzone.co.nz

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=27834

JohnR

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 6 (496 Views)

have not moved house in 10 years+ im not sure if it is poor house wiring havent had problems with the phone jack point= phone calls were clear throughout most the years.also havent had a technician to check the phone jack point im still using the old phone jack point not the brand new one thats listed on the vodafone manual when it came with the modem dont know if its called a master jackpoint or what .

as for distance that would be 100% incorrect on that part based on many isp and vodafone they are saying i should get 10-15mbps which would based me on the 3kms not 5kms=3mbps which is what im getting dont think so and another fact would be chorus site aswell.

9mbps.png

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 6 (483 Views)

heard from vodafone its not poor house wiring either or else i wouldn't be connected to the internet what i heard speed has nothing to do with old phone jackpoints either confirmed i should be getting 6+mbps aswell and chorus site also say i get 9mbps thats a estimate number aswell not 3mbps thanks.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 6 (482 Views)

well something changed but wasnt the speed it was the ping which was great went from 23-25 ping to  8 ping not quite sure if the tech fixed this outside our area or from vodafone's end

8 ping.png

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 21w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today