Requesting SIP Settings

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Requesting SIP Settings

by JacobVaughan Starter Poster
Message 1 of 12 (1,444 Views)

Just wondering if you guys give out SIP passwords for UFB / home phone?

Wanting to use third party router/voip device without having to use the huawai box..THanks.

Accepted Solutions
Business Ninja Adept

Re: Requesting SIP Settings

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 12 (2,783 Views)
No we don't sorry. VF SIP is only via the VF provided modem.

Cheers
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ

View solution in original post

Posted from Apple iPhone
Solution
Accepted by topic author JacobVaughan
‎20-02-2017 11:42 AM

All Replies
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 12 (2,784 Views)
No we don't sorry. VF SIP is only via the VF provided modem.

Cheers
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Posted from Apple iPhone
Solution
Accepted by topic author JacobVaughan
‎20-02-2017 11:42 AM
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 12 (1,437 Views)

Whats the reasoning behind this?

It's very easy to decrypt the voip password stored on the huawai router, so anyone with negative intent could still obtain it very easily.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor gregmcc Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 12 (1,433 Views)

At the end of the day you are paying VF for the connection, I would put it plain and simple to them, provide the requested information or drop their VOIP service, 2 Talk to a good priced feature laden VOIP service, move it to them.

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 12 (1,415 Views)

Managed to get the password out of the huawai router, but I still can't connect with my own voip gear. Guess I need to try figure out what all the voip settings are.

Time to read through the XML file!

New Poster

by ChrisWi New Poster
Message 6 of 12 (1,119 Views)

Jacob,

Please drop me a pm with the details on how you extracted the details in the modem? and do you have the admin un/pw for modem? 

Thank you
Chris

Staff

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 7 of 12 (1,114 Views)

We've had users misplacing their SIP details resulting in some third party abusing their line to make international calls resulting in thousands of dollars worth of bills. We do not want to deal with such situations that are not optimal for our customers or for our company.

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
New Poster

by VincentSok New Poster
Message 8 of 12 (327 Views)

If this is the case can Vodafone remote onto my pc, access my modem page and configure the VoiP Settings? Don't see why I have to suffer with a set modem/router. Doesn't seem very fair. Alternatively can I go back to a PSTN line with Fiber? I don't think I had that option.

Staff

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 9 of 12 (310 Views)

Our staff are not trained to support a variety of modems nor to do anything more than basic modem and WiFi configuration. Some of the VOIP users have addressed this issue by setting up the HG659 in bridge mode and then having their own router piggy-backing on the HG659.

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Huawei-HG659-Bridge-Mode/td-p/169232 

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
Starter Poster

by madwithvodafone Starter Poster
Message 10 of 12 (274 Views)

How to use X-Lite softphone with VF SIP

Hi All, after much banging my head against the wall battling with Vodafone policies, I have decided to share how to set up a X-Lite softphone with VF SIP.

I am doing this as Vodafone really shouldn't restrict what you can and can't do. I respect their decision from the POV that if a customer gives out the password, then it leaves it open to "call fraud".

Warning. If you do this incorrectly and something does not work after, you will need to factory reset the HG659. This loses all customisations etc but will bring the router back to defaults.

My current setup is with the default VF Huawei HG659 router. My internet is fibre and the HG659 is the ATA.

Open Internet Explorer (Edge, Mozilla and Opera do not unmask the password, did not try Chrome)(if you do not know how to access the router, this is another topic).

Log into your router with username "admin" and the password of "VF-NZhg659". Feel free to change the admin password which stops VF from accessing it (Not a good idea unless you know what you are doing).

Click on the "Telephony" tab.

In the VoIP menu there are VoIP providers and VoIP numbers. These show the current settings.

The provider setting needed is the SIP Domain (Vodafone.co.nz).

The VoIP Numbers have the username needed and shows the masked password.

To get the password google search for "passware asterisk"  and you should get the below at the top of the list.

Download, install and open "Asterisk Key" and make sure the router page with the masked password is still open. Click the "Recover button in Asterisk Key.

You should see the unmasked password.(Put this in you password repository-Keypass is ok)

I have used X-Lite for my softphone as its free and it works. I have not tested other softphones but they should work.

The screen shot below of the X-Lite account settings is all you need. The "User ID is your "SIP Number" from the HG659 voip numbers page (area code, no xero then your number)

(eg: for "Auckland" and the number of "1234567" its "91234567")

No need to use the domain proxy settings.

The "Dial Plan" settings I have used are from the HG659 dial plan settings, but the default X-lite should work.

Happy SIPping folks.

Cheers

Stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 34w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today