Modem

Frequent Poster

Modem

[ Edited ]
by Frequent Poster Fantail18 Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 7 (266 Views)

Hi There, just done a scan of my modem via my PC (Avast) and is has alerted me to a possible problem stating:- Device has an open port to the internet.

It gives me instructions for closing this but I wonder if anyone can tell me why this would be - is it somethign to do with Vodafone having access to my modem and have I done anything wrong in blocking this access as per the instructions.

Thanks

Frequent Poster

Re: Modem

Message 2 of 7 (259 Views)

Okay, quick update.  Have just searched for answers to this porblem and it seems to indicate that the port is open to allow VF to access it.  I am not really comfortable with this to be honest, if it likely to leave my modem vunerable to hacking.

Can someone from VF explain why this is and, clrify the process to close the port or protect it (does changing the modem password protect it)???

Another question, why would it need to be open, couldn't we just open it if we need support?

Thanks for any help here.

Concerned Customer

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster MrMorm Frequent Poster
Message 3 of 7 (230 Views)

Fantail18 wrote:

Okay, quick update.  Have just searched for answers to this porblem and it seems to indicate that the port is open to allow VF to access it.  I am not really comfortable with this to be honest, if it likely to leave my modem vunerable to hacking.

Can someone from VF explain why this is and, clrify the process to close the port or protect it (does changing the modem password protect it)???

Another question, why would it need to be open, couldn't we just open it if we need support?

Thanks for any help here.

Concerned Customer

Which modem? Which port?

Vodafone (and many other ISPs)  have TR69 management of the modems which is secure. If a port is open it doesn't mean it is not secure.

If TR69 is turned off then automatic firmware updates wont work and arguably you'd miss out on security updates...

Frequent Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 7 (223 Views)

Interestingly, I have just posted a question about firmware updates and asked if they update automatically.  I haven't done anything to my modem yet so hoping that the firmware released this month will update automatically (???).  

Hopefully, someone from VF can reassure me that the open port is secure in this case. 

Thanks for your reply

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 5 of 7 (214 Views)

@Fantail18

Frankly i would NEVER accept a "free" modem from any ISP.

I always purchase mine from reputable computer store (like PC Gobal or even Noel Leeming)

See article from NZ Hearld:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11864111

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster MrMorm Frequent Poster
Message 6 of 7 (207 Views)

capcomnz wrote:

@Fantail18

Frankly i would NEVER accept a "free" modem from any ISP.

I always purchase mine from reputable computer store (like PC Gobal or even Noel Leeming)

See article from NZ Hearld:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11864111

Old news, and not the big issue that it was made out to be so it doesn't worry me.

The free ones are pretty good - The Vodafone Ultra Hub is 4x4AC wifi and does all access methods (adsl,vdsl, ufb). You'd be paying a fair bit for that in another modem - and its made by Technicolor which is reputable.

I have one and the wifi covers my house fine and I've got 800Mbit over the 5Ghz (4x4ac PCIe card in the pc)

.Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 7 of 7 (195 Views)

@MrMorm

Of course its "old news" but considering that this theard was started on the 3rd Sept its seems thats some/many might not know of this.

Just becasue you do does NOT mean that others do.

And good luck with your Vodafone Hub !

I'll still purchase my own !

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today