Modem, wifi help

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Modem, wifi help

by fandaturner Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (561 Views)

HI

I have a HG 659 modem/router and we are on VDSL. 

The HG 659 is in the corner of the garage and the wifi at the other end of the house is no existant.

There are 4 CAT 5 cables connected to the HG659 that take internet to the back of 3 TV's  nad an office outlet around the house. One of these TV's (main TV) has SKY, and several other devices that use the internet beside it.

I have brought a very good wifi router and wanted to set it up at this TV as it is in the centre of the house. I can then use CAT 5 cables out of the new router into the devices by the TV. 

Hope you can follow so far. Attached is a small diagram of what I want to do.

Now I have been informed I need to change DHCP on the new router. I will disable the wifi on the HG 659, whch is the easy bit

How do I set up the setting in both units to make this work

Fraser

wifi.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Modem, wifi help

[ Edited ]
by jacobhunts45 Starter Poster
Message 2 of 3 (1,036 Views)

If I understand what you explained correctly, you have purchased a additional router. Which you will be adding to your current network. Keeping the HG659 as an access point aswell? If so with the new router you will want to disable the DHCP server completely. Then you will want to set the default gateway on it to something thats not taken on your current network. Going for a high number (for example. 192.168.1.250) is recommended as it is unlikely taken by any other device. Also take into account that the first 3 numbers might be different for your network. But as a base 192.168.1.x is the most common configuration. So once you have changed the default gateway, and turned off the DHCP server. You want to run a CAT4 or CAT5 cable from the HG659 to the new router. And then restart both devices and you will have 2 access points. This will make another wifi network at the part of your house where the wifi is non existent. And you will be able to connect other devices to the new access point via ethernet cable.

Sorry if I got the complete wrong idea but if that is what you are wanting to do. I am glad I could help

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author fandaturner
‎03-08-2016 09:02 PM

All Replies
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by jacobhunts45 Starter Poster
Message 2 of 3 (1,037 Views)

If I understand what you explained correctly, you have purchased a additional router. Which you will be adding to your current network. Keeping the HG659 as an access point aswell? If so with the new router you will want to disable the DHCP server completely. Then you will want to set the default gateway on it to something thats not taken on your current network. Going for a high number (for example. 192.168.1.250) is recommended as it is unlikely taken by any other device. Also take into account that the first 3 numbers might be different for your network. But as a base 192.168.1.x is the most common configuration. So once you have changed the default gateway, and turned off the DHCP server. You want to run a CAT4 or CAT5 cable from the HG659 to the new router. And then restart both devices and you will have 2 access points. This will make another wifi network at the part of your house where the wifi is non existent. And you will be able to connect other devices to the new access point via ethernet cable.

Sorry if I got the complete wrong idea but if that is what you are wanting to do. I am glad I could help

Solution
Accepted by topic author fandaturner
‎03-08-2016 09:02 PM
Starter Poster

by fandaturner Starter Poster
Message 3 of 3 (529 Views)

Hi

Thanks  jacobhunts45 for your post and help. You got it completely correct

I attempted last night to set it up and did everything you said apart from setting the default gateway. As such It would not connect any wifi devices, and I knew I was missing something. What NetGear did tell me last night though was, that the router can set it's self up as an access point. So I went back and got the router to set itself up as an access point and it worked.

So I have a solution ,great wifi coverage & speed plus four LAN cords into the back of my entertainment/wifi systems. 

I suspect if the router could not set it's self up your method would have worked.

Thanks again

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today