Mega slow wifi

Starter Poster

Mega slow wifi

by foxiednh Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (1,551 Views)
Yet again I post on this wall with no response from Vodafone...paying $99 for 100/20 Wi-Fi and receiving 5mbph..time to change companies I reckon.
You are a company that does not care about its customers anymore, and it shows in yr statistics of complaints. Shame on you Vodafone.
Posted from Samsung SM-G920I
Starter Poster

Re: Mega slow wifi

Message 2 of 10 (1,547 Views)
And i am on fibre if yr asking
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 3 of 10 (1,543 Views)

You are not paying for 100/20 WiFi. The 100/20 connection is only to the LAN ports. Vodafone, or any other ISP have no control over your wireless enviroment. Post your speeds for when your computer is directly connected to the router via LAN cable please.

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 10 (1,540 Views)
I dudnt get broadband to plug my computer into the lan setting. Who in residential dues this. So what is the point of paying for a faster speed if I have to sit next to the modem with a cable. Can you explain why I get faster speedtests and wifi everywhere else but my own home. It drops off constantly. And I have changed the modem 3 times.
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by TKaikouraTS Starter Poster
Message 5 of 10 (1,519 Views)

"Who in residential dues this"

-Literally everyone with a desktop. 

"So what is the point of paying for a faster speed if I have to sit next to the modem with a cable"

-Faster speeds do not necessarily mean faster WiFi speeds, eg. a bottlenecking wireless router. There is a whole rabbit-hole of possible reasons for it to slow down.

"...faster speedtests and wifi everywhere else but my own home"

-Is the speedtest pinging the same server every time, or different ones?

"It drops off constantly."

-(RabbitHole). Wireless connections dropping, having speed bottoming out can be caused by a few things.

Check whether your router is in a central location. The radio signal could be obscured by something (ie. Don't put it in a cupboard somewhere or on the floor). The connection will drop if you are on opposing sides of thick, or multiple walls.

Check the broadcast band, be it 5 GHz or 2.4. Multiple devices on the latter could cause interference. And, make sure your device supports 5GHz if you intend to use it.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 10 (1,533 Views)

Home Broadband
Our Powerful Broadband Promise gives you the ultimate broadband experience with Super Wi-Fi, 24/7 Ninja help and support, and we'll do our best to keep you always connected so you can live your life full stream ahead.

So this is off Vodafone site ...plz tell me where my super wifi is plz.
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 10 (1,492 Views)
I can read off a script as well ...as usual no solution from Vodafone..
Regular Contributor

by Regular Contributor MrMorm Regular Contributor
Message 8 of 10 (1,485 Views)

Which modem have you got? The Ultra Hub or HG659 or something else?

There are so many variables with wifi, only a clear picture of your setup will help sort this one.

I have an Ultra Hub with a 4x4 Wifi card in my PC with 1Gig fibre - Best I have got is 800MBit over the wifi which is pretty much max speed for 4x4 5ghz AC wifi.On the HG659 router (which is 3x3AC) it was about 400-500Mbit

If using the 2.4ghz band, you'll be getting about 100Mbit max at best, and for the majority of devices around, about 30Mbit is normal on this.

The routers can do your line speed on the 5Ghz band, so it is the environment and placement for you that is your issue.

Changing your router (as you've seen already) or ISP will make zero difference

@TKaikouraTSis right in their comments. I've been to many places to sort wifi, and so often the router is in a cupboard, behind a couch ot TV, on a fridge or filing cabinet or a a far corner of a house and every time for those I moved the router out and up into the clear and the wifi performance doubles. Interference is everywhere, and if you want anything better than 30Mbit speed, use the 5ghz band SSID

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 9 of 10 (1,474 Views)

Also urban areas lots of neighbouring Wi-Fi can interfer. Cordless phones and a whole range of other devices can also interfer. 

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 10 of 10 (1,408 Views)

@foxiednhYou need to learn a little bit about how Wi-Fi works and how it's shared public spectrum with every single other Wi-Fi user around you, Wi-Fi is best effort

Using a LAN cable has so many advantages over Wi-Fi in speed and just general performance,

JohhR

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors