Huawei B315; phone reception fails, power off-on restores it

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Huawei B315; phone reception fails, power off-on restores it

by Contributor Isolani Contributor
Message 1 of 13 (2,394 Views)

I've got a Huawei B315, bought from a Vodafone shop a couple of months ago, that I'm using to enable a traditional dumbphone to connect via 3G cellular service out here at the far end of nowhere.

It's not being provisioned by VF for broadband (it wouldn't be worthwhile; the best download speed I was able to get when testing it was about 700 Kbps).  I'm using a regular cellphone SIM that's worked well in a previous installation.

With my yagi attached to one of the B315's aerial ports I ordinarily get a full 3 bars of signal strength, and other than a bit of background hum, call quality is good.

Lately, from time to time I find the signal strength display down to 1 or zero bars.  When zero bars are displayed, I do not get a dialing tone and calling is impossible.

At such times, my cellphone (in just the right position) still displays its usual one or two bars of signal strength, so it's not a question of lacking signal from the tower.  And if I power the B315 off and on again, then as soon as the 3G access point wakes up, it wakes up displaying a full 3 bars of signal strength.

Is this expected behaviour from the B315, or should I bring it back for exchange?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Vodafone Ninja

Re: Huawei B315; phone reception fails, power off-on restores it

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 13 (3,973 Views)

Hi @Isolani,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Vodafone Community.

It sounds like a coverage issue really, can you please check your coverage on the following link by entering your address on the coverage map: http://www.vodafone.co.nz/network/coverage/.

Another thing that I may think of is to make sure to check the settings on the modem and make sure the modem is locked to 3G/2G. Most likely it's set to Auto and so it will be looking for 4G connection as well, so if you can lock it to 3G/2G it would be better.

Also if you can clarify the setup a bit more please. For instance the Yagi that you have, was that installed by a technician sent by Vodafone/Downers? And that Yagi was it installed with the B315 or was it installed with a previous modem initially?

You also mentioned you're connecting it to a phone, and you're using a SIM card inside the modem itself. The phone in use though is it working with a mobile number, or a landline number? and if it's a landline number, how was provisioned?

Sorry for the many questions, just trying to get my the full picture of the setup on your end. If you do have an account with Vodafone, kindly send me a private message with your account number, SIM card number for the SIM that is being used, and also your address please.

Kind Regards

^Ahmed

Social media team

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author Isolani
‎25-01-2016 09:39 PM

All Replies
Highlighted
Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 13 (3,974 Views)

Hi @Isolani,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Vodafone Community.

It sounds like a coverage issue really, can you please check your coverage on the following link by entering your address on the coverage map: http://www.vodafone.co.nz/network/coverage/.

Another thing that I may think of is to make sure to check the settings on the modem and make sure the modem is locked to 3G/2G. Most likely it's set to Auto and so it will be looking for 4G connection as well, so if you can lock it to 3G/2G it would be better.

Also if you can clarify the setup a bit more please. For instance the Yagi that you have, was that installed by a technician sent by Vodafone/Downers? And that Yagi was it installed with the B315 or was it installed with a previous modem initially?

You also mentioned you're connecting it to a phone, and you're using a SIM card inside the modem itself. The phone in use though is it working with a mobile number, or a landline number? and if it's a landline number, how was provisioned?

Sorry for the many questions, just trying to get my the full picture of the setup on your end. If you do have an account with Vodafone, kindly send me a private message with your account number, SIM card number for the SIM that is being used, and also your address please.

Kind Regards

^Ahmed

Social media team

Solution
Accepted by topic author Isolani
‎25-01-2016 09:39 PM
Contributor

Message 3 of 13 (2,287 Views)

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for your assistance.

1. According to the coverage map, my house is within the palest shade of gold for 3G reception.

2. I will check that the B315 is locked to 3G/2G.

3. I installed the yagi myself some years ago.  It has provided good Vodafone 900 MHz reception over the years to a variety of equipment, most recently a Motorola Defy with a hole drilled in the back to allow access to the aerial port.  (The Defy registered an almost invariant 4 out of 5 bars signal strength.)

4. In the current setup an old analogue cordless phone is plugged into the telephone port of the B315.  Installed in the B315 is the SIM I was using in the Defy (actually a 2 Degrees SIM, but roaming to a Vodafone tower).  So it's using a mobile number.

Before anyone jumps on me for posing a question on the Vodafone forum to a Vodafone person when the device is using a 2 Degrees SIM:  all I'm trying to find out is whether the B315, purchased from Vodafone, is likely to be faulty.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 4 of 13 (2,272 Views)

I don't think the B315 is faulty, but of course it's intended to be installed by one of our technicians as part of a RBI install. Ideally it would be best to get a proper RBI install completed. Alternately if you have anyone in your area with a RBI install maybe compare the type of antenna used and the direction it's pointed.

Contributor

Message 5 of 13 (2,263 Views)

Clicking on the Rural Broadband button on the map at http://www.vodafone.co.nz/network/coverage/ I see there is no 3G, 4G or Planned coverage anywhere near my property.  There seems to be no point in engaging a tech to come out a very long distance (at least a four hour return trip) to set up an installation for a service that isn't there.

If you are satisfied that the B315's occasional loss of signal, remedied by powering off and on, is normal behaviour for that device, then I can accept that (provided that the loss of signal does not become a frequent occurrence).  I intended my B315 to be a replacement for a jury-rigged telephone system, and any Internet connectivity it offers is a bonus.

Thank you for the advice.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 6 of 13 (2,246 Views)

I guess if you could try the same device in another location then that would help identify if it's a coverage issue. Sounds like you have an interesting set up and challenges there!

Contributor

Message 7 of 13 (2,157 Views)

I've now been able to check the 4G vs 3G/2G setting, and the B315 was set to 4G.  I've changed that to 3G, and I'll see whether that solves the problem.

Posted from Apple iPad
Ninja Master

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 8 of 13 (2,150 Views)

@Isolani Sounds like cell breathing to me which happens on 3G / WCDMA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_breathing_(telephony)

Talking about ' bars '  really adds zero value I would want to know what the dBm / RSSI is, 

Knowing these values is going to add more value than bars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_signal_strength_indication

John Smiley Happy

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team

John Reader | Systems Engineer | Vodafone NZ | +6421323505

To ask me a question directly here on the community post @johnr so I get an email advising me
Contributor

Message 9 of 13 (2,141 Views)

OK, johnr, I've got my instructions for the next bit of investigation.  It'll be about a fortnight before I can report back.

Posted from Apple iPad
Ninja Master

by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 10 of 13 (2,138 Views)

Further to this I would say the unit is not faulty 

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team

John Reader | Systems Engineer | Vodafone NZ | +6421323505

To ask me a question directly here on the community post @johnr so I get an email advising me
Stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today