How to set up my ASUS RT-N66U

Starter Poster

How to set up my ASUS RT-N66U

by PiotrekPierzynski Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (1,361 Views)

Hello,

I have my fibre installation done 3 weeks ago. I'd like to set up my current router ASUS RT-N66U as a default router. Could you please advice me what parameters should I use - especially any advice in terms of login and password in an "INTERNET" section. Generally how should I do it and set up all the parameters.

Many thanks

Peter

Business Ninja Adept

Re: How to set up my ASUS RT-N66U

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 7 (1,348 Views)

Here's the general settings you'll need (extracted from http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/5239/related/1). Leave the username and password fields blank. Ensure the VLAN tagging is set to 10.

Service type INTERNET, TR069, VOICE
 Connection Type IP routing (IP)
 MTU 1500
 MSS 0
 NAT NAPT
 VLAN Check
 VLAN ID 10
 802.1p 0
 IP protocol version IPv4 + IPv6
 IPv4 address type DHCP
 Static DNS Uncheck
 IPv6 addressing type DHCP
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 7 (1,335 Views)

Thanks but when I do my internet wizard at Asus the first option is to choose type of the internet connection so I choose ADSL (connected with PPPoe) and next the device asks me to give username and password. I have found that ma username is vfnz_pro but can't read the password (it's hidden on the Vodafone hub). So my question is where I can find? Do I need to call technical team from Vodafone?

I will be grateful for any help.

Staff

[ Edited ]
by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 4 of 7 (1,320 Views)

Hello there

Check and see if your router support Vlan.

if your connection is fibre then you should not be using anything that says ADSL on it. so that option is the incorrect setting.

All Fibre ( UFB) connections in NZ is tagged with VLAN 10 tagging.

If your router doesnt support VLAN you cant use it to connect to the ONT box on the wall as it is not compatible. I looked at the manual has no mention about any VLAN unless you flash a WRT firmware.( check with the manufacturer before you do this as it will probably void your warranty and I suggest you dont)

Another this i saw was this router very limited capabilities on the wifi side as it is only capable of 450Mbps on 802.11ac (5 Ghz) so theorically over wifi ( if your fiber connection is more than 200Mbps) you will get somewhere around 200-300Mbps (with a capable device)

present Vodafone router should be sufficient enough for all things home. I am a gamer myself and have no complaints using it. More over it has a number of features on wifi for better coverage and can support upto 1.7Gbps on wifi (with capable devices we have tested 800+ Mbps over wi-fi with a ASUS PCE-AC88 and and ultrahub on 1Gbps connection)

you can use the Vodafone router first then run a cable from that to your Asus Router's WAN port and that should do the trick if you want to use it as an Access point.

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 7 (1,317 Views)

Many many thanks for your reply. But how we can explain the fact that I used the same connection provided by Big Pipe (my previous NZ fibre provider) and this router was working very stable and very well. Any thoughts?

Anyway I will check what you have advices. Thanks. 

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 6 of 7 (1,311 Views)

hi there

it seems i am wrong - there are ISPs with no VLAN 10 tagging and big pipe was one of them check the UFB setting on the below link on bigpipe website. My bad.

https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/faq/faq-getting-connected/what-modem-settings-are-best-for-bigpipe

If you are with Vodafone you ll have to use the router we provided. its plug and play.

regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 7 (1,308 Views)

Ok. Now it's clear. Thanks. 

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 40w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors