How to change DNS settings on Huawei HG659 router?

Frequent Poster
Accepted Solution

How to change DNS settings on Huawei HG659 router?

[ Edited ]
by Frequent Poster mikeyz12 Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 6 (18,670 Views)

Hi when I go into the 192.168.1.1 it goes into the vodafone router page am I suppose to get a huawei one not very good at this tech stuff? Any help be awesome thank you

Posted from Apple iPad

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Staff

Re: How to change DNS settings on Huawei HG659 router?

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 3 of 6 (31,488 Views)

Hi @mikeyz12 

Welcome to Vodafone Community. I've merged your two questions into one new topic here so we can more more easily give you specific info to help you get up and running.

I understand you found the notes from Kieran about changing the DNS settings in the Huawai HG659 router, which I've copied and will expand on here. So, to change the DNS settings for your VDSL connection on the Huawei HG659 router...

1) It's easiest to use a computer rather than a phone or tablet to do this. Open up a web browser on your computer like Firefox or Internet Explorer and then go to the configuration website that's inside your router, which by default is http://192.168.1.1/

2) Enter the username "Admin" and the password "VF-NZhg659" (note that password is case sensitive)

3) Click on the tab at the top marked "Internet"

4) In the menu on the left click on "Internet Settings"

5) Under "internet_vdsl" profile click on "Edit"

6) Under "IP Information" look for "Static DNS" and then tick the box next to it.

7) Type in the primary and secondary DNS servers you would like to use. They addresses will be IP addresses so it will be a series of numbers and dots. E.g. the Google public DNS server is primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4

8) Click "Save"

9) And finally reboot you router.

10) When that's started up and connected again you should be good to go. Some third party DNS providers may have additional steps to complete to authenicate against their service.

Hope that helps - please let us know how it goes for you so others know if it should work for them. Smiley Happy

Cheers

Dylan

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author mikeyz12
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Frequent Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 6 (18,663 Views)

Hey where do change them I log into my router and it goes into the vodafone router page not the huawei anyone know where I can find the DNS page here

Posted from Apple iPad
Highlighted
Retired Staff

Message 3 of 6 (31,489 Views)

Hi @mikeyz12 

Welcome to Vodafone Community. I've merged your two questions into one new topic here so we can more more easily give you specific info to help you get up and running.

I understand you found the notes from Kieran about changing the DNS settings in the Huawai HG659 router, which I've copied and will expand on here. So, to change the DNS settings for your VDSL connection on the Huawei HG659 router...

1) It's easiest to use a computer rather than a phone or tablet to do this. Open up a web browser on your computer like Firefox or Internet Explorer and then go to the configuration website that's inside your router, which by default is http://192.168.1.1/

2) Enter the username "Admin" and the password "VF-NZhg659" (note that password is case sensitive)

3) Click on the tab at the top marked "Internet"

4) In the menu on the left click on "Internet Settings"

5) Under "internet_vdsl" profile click on "Edit"

6) Under "IP Information" look for "Static DNS" and then tick the box next to it.

7) Type in the primary and secondary DNS servers you would like to use. They addresses will be IP addresses so it will be a series of numbers and dots. E.g. the Google public DNS server is primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4

8) Click "Save"

9) And finally reboot you router.

10) When that's started up and connected again you should be good to go. Some third party DNS providers may have additional steps to complete to authenicate against their service.

Hope that helps - please let us know how it goes for you so others know if it should work for them. Smiley Happy

Cheers

Dylan

Solution
Accepted by topic author mikeyz12
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Frequent Poster

Message 4 of 6 (16,689 Views)

Sorry mate was given the wrong modem so didn't use it but got fibre installed this week so this came in handy lol thanks all up and going 

Posted from Apple iPad
New Poster

by desdakiwi New Poster
Message 5 of 6 (14,372 Views)

Looks straight forward except there is no edit button/option

Retired Staff

Message 6 of 6 (14,123 Views)

Hi @desdakiwi

Here's an up to date FAQ that'll help - http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/24531/

Cheers

Dylan

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today