HG659 - Wifi very flaky

Retired Staff

Re: HG659 - Wifi very flaky

by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 41 of 74 (2,072 Views)

The HG659 my parents have does not miss a beat on WiFi and the uptime is about 6 months,

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

by kumarstoo Starter Poster
Message 42 of 74 (2,045 Views)

why is Vodafone not doing anthing about the Wifi drop and why is everyone who has a problem not making a noise? Anyone from Vodafone given an alternate Gateway that one can buy from the market and do away with the HG659?

Contributor xpd
Contributor

by Contributor xpd Contributor
Message 43 of 74 (2,037 Views)

Ive made all the noise I can, and all it got me was a replacement router....... I asked about a different model/brand, but nope, not available. 

To be honest, the latest router theyve sent, does seem to be behaving itself a bit better on the wifi front, but still has issues holding settings I put in place.

I'm just living with it for now, cant be arsed wasting any more of my time with V/fone trying to get a proper solution.

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by kumarstoo Starter Poster
Message 44 of 74 (2,030 Views)

If any one is after fibre connectivity or have fibre based connection - you can buy any fibre ready modem/router from D-Link, Netcomm (NPV4 I thik) or anyone of others in the market and get Vodafone to give you the main ADMIN USER NAME & PW - call the help desk tech support - and you can go into the HG659 config settings that are there and copy the same to your Gateway and it will be fine.

You can also change DNS from what ever you see in the HG659 to any DNS you maybe subscribing to like Unotelly or another DNS servcie provider.

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster Paul Frequent Poster
Message 45 of 74 (1,981 Views)

I've been experiencing the same issue since upgrading to VDSL from ADSL 4 months ago. Wifi is connected, but no internet available. I've tried using the modem as the DNS server and also setting up Vodafones DNS on my devices, but after some period of time connectivity just stops. Restarting the modem is the only work around.

I thought it might be related to having a second AP with the same SSID, but I turned that off and still had the same problem.

I've mentioned it to vodafone support, but they just told me to disable 5GHz, but that didn't make any difference.

I'm going to disable wifi on the modem, and start using my powerline wifi hotspot as the main AP and see how that goes.

I can't believe so many people are having the same issue with this modem, and Vodafone aren't doing anything about it.

Contributor

by Contributor sikcapri Contributor
Message 46 of 74 (1,830 Views)

xpd wrote:

Yup, my wifi issues are back, at least once a week (always seems to be a Thursday for some reason) the wifi dies.

The status on the router shows the Wifi as being up, devices will connect but not get any internet access. Usually a reboot of the router fixes it, but today, no go.

Ive turned off 5ghz and set 2.4 to run only b/g - awaiting the wife to return home to see if thats made any difference.  (Im at work remoting into my wired PC)

Also not impressed that theres two admin logins - one that we can access to supposedly change settings on the device and another that Vodafone techs can use which actually does make changes on the device - and yes, I have tested both logins and found the latter seems to apply settings properly, whereas the "user" one does not always work.

Is there any other VDSL unit available that I can try as this one is doing my head in......

I'd say external interference is a strong possibility, try locking the WiFi to various chanels (or setting it to Auto if its; currently locked to a singel channel). I had this issue ages ago with a number of differnt WAPs and locking it to a certian channel was the only thing that would make it reliable

[ Edited ]
by Contributor sikcapri Contributor
Message 47 of 74 (1,828 Views)

Paul wrote:

I thought it might be related to having a second AP with the same SSID, but I turned that off and still had the same problem.

Two devices with the same SSID running at the same time will cuase all kinds of havoc.

Even if the old one has been truned off, if you've named your new WAP with the same SSID you will want to delete the connection profile from your device/PC and recreate it. Theres a good chance various auto-configured settings are not the same by default.

by Contributor xpd Contributor
Message 48 of 74 (1,818 Views)

Nope, wasnt interference etc because every other AP Ive ever had has run fine. Also only one other AP in range from next door, so not like Im in a wifi flooded area Smiley Wink

Turned off the wifi on the HG659 now anyway as Ive picked up a Unifi unit cheap and been running on that happily with no issues at all.

Starter Poster

by Tuitama Starter Poster
Message 49 of 74 (1,732 Views)

HI

You able to give me the link for the 100R001C206B013 firmware please

Cheers

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Nigelhu Retired Staff
Message 50 of 74 (1,727 Views)

Hi,