HG659 - Wifi very flaky

Contributor xpd
Contributor
Accepted Solution

HG659 - Wifi very flaky

[ Edited ]
by Contributor xpd Contributor
Message 1 of 74 (19,085 Views)

Just got connected to V/fone VDSL last night, installed router, and it connected fine. Setup Wifi, connected my Windows phone , and wifes laptop to the Wifi and all seemed good.... then a few hours later my wife complained that her RDP sesison to work kept dying - so ran basic diagnostics and found the wifi was dropping traffic after a couple of mins (inc local network).

Found that for some reason it was looking for our old Orcon router....  so rmeoved all wifi connections and re-connected to the Vodafone router wifi - connects but no traffic at all now.

Same with my Windows phone.... says its connected, but no traffic at all. 

I turned off the 5ghz to see if that made any difference but nope.

Anyone know why this is happening ? Firmware upgrade available maybe ? 

I havent reset the router yet and would like to avoid doing so if possible (the whole 10 day tweaking thing Smiley Happy ) but may not have a choice....

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor xpd
Contributor

Re: HG659 - Wifi very flaky

Message 3 of 74 (29,700 Views)

Looks like issue resolved - I was using the same SSID as my previous router which appears to have caused an issue.

Changed SSID and seems to be fine now Smiley Happy

peelola, I advise you try the same if you are trying to use an old SSID name Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author xpd
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Starter Poster

by peelola Starter Poster
Message 2 of 74 (19,071 Views)

Hi, 

I can't actually help, so sorry about that.

I came here to report the same thing. I have had issues with the router myself. An iPhone wouldnt connect to the WiFi the past couple of days (it was fine last week) and I thought it was an issue with the phone. The last thing I did (after resetting the network settings on the phone) was factory reset the router and then the phone connected fine. 

On some laptops I am connected to the WiFi, but cannot always connect to the internet, then suddenly after 5 minutes of trying/waiting I can connect. 

Being honest, since I've had the router, the router's performance has been very poor and I am getting more and more frustrated. I had no issues with the old ADSL service and router supplied by Vodafone, but this one has been nothing but trouble. I get fantastic speeds on VDSL, just the performance of the router is letting the service down. 

Options?

• Vodafone replace the router or supply fix?
  • I return router, get a refund and buy a router myself?
  • Return to ADSL and get slower speeds, but a more reliable service?

Highlighted
Contributor xpd
Contributor

Message 3 of 74 (29,701 Views)

Looks like issue resolved - I was using the same SSID as my previous router which appears to have caused an issue.

Changed SSID and seems to be fine now Smiley Happy

peelola, I advise you try the same if you are trying to use an old SSID name Smiley Happy

Solution
Accepted by topic author xpd
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Starter Poster

by howardk Starter Poster
Message 4 of 74 (18,712 Views)

I went onto VDSL 2 weeks ago and the speed performance is amazing, but i am having similar wifi problems!

for no reason, one of the many computers, phones or tablets suddenly loses wifi anbd when you try to reconnect, it says unable to.

I reboot the modem and it works fine. But this happens often to other computers in the house.

I have used my old ADSL modem as a wifi router only in the house and connected its lan port to the new modem and the wifi on this works fine all the time...no disconnections or problems connecting.

Also, sometimes when connected via wifi, I lose the net, but if I connect to the modem via cable, it is fine.

It is obvious there is a problem with the wifi section of the modem and I have asked for a replacement.

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 5 of 74 (18,699 Views)

Hi @howardk - are you using the same SSID and password on your new modem as what you had on your old one?

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 74 (18,683 Views)
Nope, I have changed the SSID.
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 74 (18,632 Views)

I have had my modem replaced but still experiencing the same problems...two of my colleagues are having the same issues as are several others on this forum.

I have borrowed a wifi router and disabled the wifi on the HG659 modem. *(I have even disabled my cordless phone)

I have connected the wifi router via ethernet to the HG659 modem and it works perfectly!!!

Just to mention that I am a professional IT engineer and that my conclusion is that the wifi in the HG659 has some serious issues and Vodafone need to address this asap!

Contributor xpd
Contributor

Message 8 of 74 (18,509 Views)

Yup, my wifi issues are back, at least once a week (always seems to be a Thursday for some reason) the wifi dies.

The status on the router shows the Wifi as being up, devices will connect but not get any internet access. Usually a reboot of the router fixes it, but today, no go.

Ive turned off 5ghz and set 2.4 to run only b/g - awaiting the wife to return home to see if thats made any difference.  (Im at work remoting into my wired PC)

Also not impressed that theres two admin logins - one that we can access to supposedly change settings on the device and another that Vodafone techs can use which actually does make changes on the device - and yes, I have tested both logins and found the latter seems to apply settings properly, whereas the "user" one does not always work.

Is there any other VDSL unit available that I can try as this one is doing my head in......

Contributor xpd
Contributor

Message 9 of 74 (18,486 Views)

Right, wife got back home, restarted her laptop and same issue.... wifi connected but no internet connectivity. Went to my wired PC, and gets online via that.

Is doing our heads in (wife works from home and relies on the wifi), so we need a solution - I know we could go out and buy another AP, but thats 1) extra cost to purchase 2) more power used.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 10 of 74 (18,470 Views)

Hi @xpd ,

Really sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this one - I've had a word with the right folks internally who tell me it's worth getting a ticket logged with the faults team so we can investigate, troubleshoot, & if necessary pass feedback on to the vendor.

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Stats
  • 73 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 8 Kudos
  • 11 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today