HG659 - Wifi and Harmony Smart Control Hub

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

HG659 - Wifi and Harmony Smart Control Hub

by alkifaf Starter Poster
Message 1 of 2 (3,836 Views)

I purchased and easily setup a Harmony Smart Control Remote & Hub in May, I could communicate with the Hub via their desktop application and a smartphone app.

The Hub has to connect at 2.4GhZ.

Last week I wanted to make changes and found that whilst the hub could connect to my home wifi it would not establish a connection. After many hours of tinkering I submitted a ticked with the Logitech Harmony Support.

The first round of things to try has failed and they have asked I look into doing this on the Router.

Here is the link to the full post (I get the same pop-up window) and below is the bit I wondered (bold, italic) whether I could do on the HG659 and if so, how.

==========================

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Hub-Based-Remotes/Harmony-Hub-sync-internet-connection-proble...

The Solution:

As IT technicians may know in time there have been several devices by a lot of manufacturers which had problems when a DHCP lease expired and the server provided them with a fresh IP address. Even the Harmony Hub is such a device, too. While our vacation the DHCP lease had expired. When the Harmony Hub became reconnected it was proviced with a new IP address which confused the fully configured device in a way that no WiFi steering was accepted by the Hub anymore. The Bluetooth remote did work with a delay of several minutes when a button was pushed.

Even a whole firmware reset did not solve the problem for unknown reasons. I bet a part of the IP settings must have been stored in a place where it survived all the resets (I did five at all). Indeed, I performed the resets as it is described by the manual (poweroff ==> hold button ==> replug ==> wait until red blinking is gone). Smiley Wink

I managed to solve the problem by a simpy delete the current DHCP lease again and setup a DHCP reserved lease (like a static IP) for the hardware MAC address of the Harmony Hub at my DHCP server. This assignment of a new IP address solved the connecton problem at once. The iOS App was now again able to perform a complete setup and to restore my device steering programs from "myharmony.com" to the Harmony Hub.

For all people who make use of a simple WAN router (instead of a dedicated server) it should be sufficient to delete the DHCP lease at router side to provide a fresh IP address to the Harmony Hub. In both cases the Harmony Hub has to be setup like a new device afterwards.

When the process finished my Harmony Hub was in the exact state as it was before the vacation.

=========================

My home network did have the HG659 using 2.4, 5 and an Access Point all using the same SSID. I have swithed of the 5Ghz and changed the SSID on the Access Point to be certain I am connecting at 2.4 to the HG659.

I have tried re-booting the HG659 and doing a power off / on.

I have played around with the DSN settings in order to use a Roku via Unotelly. The Roku has been retired and I believe I have reset the HG659 to use the standard Vodafone DNS settings. Lease renewal was 1 week and I have reset to 1 day.

There is nowhere (or so I believe) that will tell me what the Hub's IP address. Certainly, Logitech Support have not mentioned it.

I classify myself as someone who knows a little about networking.

Blow is the list of things to try as suggested by Harmony Support. I am at step 1) and not sure if I should do Step 4)

1) Try to reserve a fresh DHCP lease for the Harmony Hub and check if that helps! Refer router manual for steps. Few users confirmed (see above url) this to address similar issues.

2) Try to use mixed Radio mode and channel 1 to 11 & Auto in the router and check!

3) Some routers have a setting that prevents 2 Wi-Fi devices from communicating with each other, and will only allow a Wi-Fi connected device such as your smartphone to communicate with devices connected using a network cable. Some common names for this are: AP Isolation, Wireless Isolation, WLAN Partition, etc. Please ask the Cx to refer the router's user manual for instructions on how to disable this functionality.

4) Try to Factory Reset the Hub. After Factory resetting the Hub, sign into your account on MyHarmony Desktop Software, connect your Hub using the supplied USB cable, place the Hub connected to the Power and press Sync.  

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: HG659 - Wifi and Harmony Smart Control Hub

Message 2 of 2 (6,527 Views)

Had a bit of good luck, especially since I had no idea as to what I was doing.

I deduced what the IP Address/MAC Address of the HUB was from the router (I couldn't find the IP address in the Harmony Desktop S/W).

Under DHCP Reservation, I found a device with a MAC address which did not match the IP Address of the Hub. I deleted the entry, added my Hub and then went back into the Harmony Desktop S/W. It sync'd with no errors. Tested the Remote and it seems OK.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author alkifaf
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Starter Poster

Re: HG659 - Wifi and Harmony Smart Control Hub

Message 2 of 2 (6,528 Views)

Had a bit of good luck, especially since I had no idea as to what I was doing.

I deduced what the IP Address/MAC Address of the HUB was from the router (I couldn't find the IP address in the Harmony Desktop S/W).

Under DHCP Reservation, I found a device with a MAC address which did not match the IP Address of the Hub. I deleted the entry, added my Hub and then went back into the Harmony Desktop S/W. It sync'd with no errors. Tested the Remote and it seems OK.

Solution
Accepted by topic author alkifaf
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 1 Contributor
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today