Constantly dropping internet connection

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Constantly dropping internet connection

by arthurhk Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (1,077 Views)

I have been experiencing dropping internet connection for the past week or so. Tried calling the help line 3 times in the past 3 days, the call center staff is always trying to troubleshoot but nothing fixed the problem.

When I called again last night, the call center asked me to change some cofigurations in the modem (eg. changing channel) and monitor for 24 hours. I have been monitoring for 72 hours and it's still dropping constantly (every few minutes). I don't think it's the link between our devices and the modem as all of them will not be able to go online at the same time. 

I believe it's the modem's issue, as this has happened about a year ago. I was sent a replacement modem and the problem was fixed.

May I know how do I get a replacement modem? I'm happy to send my current modem back (like I did the last time).

Thanks.

Staff

Re: Constantly dropping internet connection

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 2 of 3 (1,058 Views)

It's really unlikely to be your router at fault. First thing you (well, really the call centre) need to do is figure out if it's the wifi dropping or your internet connection (ADSL, fibre, etc). Depending on what router you've got, there may be some logs that will show that, or some status like 'DSL Uptime'.

Starter Poster

Re: Constantly dropping internet connection

by arthurhk Starter Poster
Message 3 of 3 (1,028 Views)

Should have mentioned this, my modem is VDSL modem HG659. The WLAN light would go off and then start blinking a few seconds later. All connections will be drop when this happens, and it's happening fairly frequently. Some devices even appear to have no internet connections.

This may sound strange but I had a friend brought his modem (same model, but a bit older) over to test whether it's a modem issue. His modem is working perfectly with no dropped connections. All devices are happy (and the wife too). So I managed to convince the call centre to send me a replacement modem.

Thanks.

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors