Cannot login to 192.168.1.1

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Cannot login to 192.168.1.1

by JessicaJohns Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (2,864 Views)

Hi

A friend gave me their old wireless router as mine is broken. I have plugged it in and it connects automatically to the internet using the ethernet cable.

I am trying to login to the router via 192.168.1.1 but it won't work. It asks for my username and password which is admin/admin according to the label on the router (I have reset it). It just keeps asking for the login details and doesn't accept admin/admin. I've tried turning off my firewall,checking the default gateway using command prompt, nothing seems to be working. I need to get into the settings to setup the wireless network.

The modem was originally from Slingshot, but I don't see how that would be a problem as it is letting me use the internet via the ethernet cable and my vodafone broadband, just won't let me login to setup the wireless.

Thanks

Jess

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Cannot login to 192.168.1.1

by carlharri Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (4,758 Views)

You mentioned that the modem was from slingshot. As far as I know slingshot modems are NetComm. For NetComm routers to access the modem you just have to use admin for both username and password. If admin doesn't work, you can try the last 6 digits of your router's MAC address as the password - just make sure that you enter the MAC address in lower-case.

The MAC address can be found at the bottom of your modem.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author JessicaJohns
‎27-10-2016 01:19 PM

All Replies
Starter Poster

Message 2 of 5 (2,862 Views)

Forgot to add I can login to my old router with no problems so don't know why it's not working for this one Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by carlharri Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (4,759 Views)

You mentioned that the modem was from slingshot. As far as I know slingshot modems are NetComm. For NetComm routers to access the modem you just have to use admin for both username and password. If admin doesn't work, you can try the last 6 digits of your router's MAC address as the password - just make sure that you enter the MAC address in lower-case.

The MAC address can be found at the bottom of your modem.

Solution
Accepted by topic author JessicaJohns
‎27-10-2016 01:19 PM
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 5 (2,823 Views)

Thanks, I had tried that previously but did it in uppercase which didn't work. I'm happy to say lowercase did the job! Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

New Poster

by menara New Poster
Message 5 of 5 (743 Views)

Cat HappyCat Embarassed

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 46w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today