Can I use two HG659 routers at home?

Starter Poster

Re: Can I use toe HG659 routers at home?

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 11 of 22 (1,343 Views)

No, have tried numerous times turning on/off, unplugging power supply & reconnecting and using the power supply from the house modem.  The only light to come up is if I plug in an ethernet cable into both routers then LAN light will come on, nothing else Smiley Sad

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 12 of 22 (1,321 Views)

Hi again.  Back onto trying to get strong wifi into my flat today for my daughters use.  Have purchsed a new HG659 and followed the set up details as per your message 09/11/17.  The new 'Flat' router has the power & WiFi lights on all time, LAN2 blinking, all others off.  Other settings are DHCP sever 'House' is ON, 'Flat is OFF.  Channel settings 2.4 at 11 & 5.0 set at 120. 'Flat' modem shows the house modem, desktop & tablet connected.  SSID names for both router channels are set different. Using the WiFI analyzer app their is still no difference in signal strength using the 'Flat' router, its the same as just the 'House' on its own.  Any other thoughts please, my daughter is giving me a hard time Smiley Sad Cheers

Regular Contributor

by Regular Contributor MrMorm Regular Contributor
Message 13 of 22 (1,307 Views)

it all sounds ok. How is the flat router position in relation to where the flat is (distance/walls etc)

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 14 of 22 (1,293 Views)

Hi.  As the crow flies its about 20m but through internal timber walls, brick exteriors to house and flat.  The cable is 30m going through the house and flat windows at present.  I have not yet put it through the roof etc untill I know it works.  But maybe I'm missing the point I thought by putting the modem in using the ethernet cable by passed the distance/wall issues to extend WiFi to the flat?  Cheers 

Regular Contributor

Message 15 of 22 (1,270 Views)

so the flat router is in the flat, and the home router is in the home - two seperate, but attached locations. And they are connected via ethernet cable.

So if you are in the flat next to the flat modem, and attached to it's wifi network, the signal strength should be strong.

Are you staying in this scenario, it isn't?

THe modem isn't on a metal cabinet or applicance or similar?

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 16 of 22 (1,254 Views)

The router is located as described and was sitting on a wrought iron display stand in the lounge area sitting on a glass shelf next to an exterior wall facing the house.

So I have just moved it of the metal stand to a new location in the middle of the flat (betwen the lounge & kitchen area) which is one room with no walls. 

The reading on the WiFi Analyzer from the 'house' modem is now lower -76 (was -70 in above position) in the new location.  Reconnected the modem and no change in signal at all.  Modem lights on full are Power & WiFi with LAN blinking.

Regular Contributor

Message 17 of 22 (1,242 Views)

whats the flat modem signal strength in the flat?

The house modem will be poor in the flat so -76 is low as expected.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 18 of 22 (1,235 Views)

It looks as though there cannot be any Wifi coming from the flat modem as wherever I put the modem and turn it on the signal strength does not change to what the house modem is providing at that time as above.  The only other setting thing I have not tried is using the WPS or the WLAN buttons on the modem, should I be doing anything with them?  Cheers

Regular Contributor

Message 19 of 22 (1,225 Views)

the WLAN button turns the wifi on. The wifi light is on on the flat modem yes?

Make sure the flat modem wifi name is different to the House modem one too.

Also, log into the flat modem and check that its wifi power is not turned down - it should be at 100%

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 20 of 22 (1,214 Views)

Hi.  Today I have gone through the info provided and settings as advised again but still not getting a WiFi signal from the ‘Flat’ modem even though both modems show 100% transmit power.  

As a trial I also swapped the new ‘Flat’ modem and it worked perfectly when I replaced and connected it up as the ‘House’ modem.

Overview:

• The lights on the ‘Flat’ modem are: Power – ON, WiFi – ON, LAN2 – Blinking.  All others Off
  • On the ‘House’ modem home page it shows that the ‘Flat’ modem, my desktop & tablet all as connected devices.
  • The two modems are connected by a new CAT6 Ethernet cable 30m long.

But:

• The ‘Flat’ modem home page has a Red Circle/White Lines between gateway & internet showing that Internet is Unavailable.
  • Under the Ethernet status page on the ‘House’ modem shows as Connected but the ‘Flat’ modem shows as Not Connected.
  • But under LAN Interface Status page it shows Connected Full 1000Mbps for both the ‘House’ & ‘Flat’ modems!!!

I have made a spreadsheet with most of the comparable settings for both modems as a quick overview which may help pin point the problem setting if it's possible to submit to an email contact, fingers crossed.  Cheers

Stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 49w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors