Can I use two HG659 routers at home?

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Can I use two HG659 routers at home?

[ Edited ]
by LesR Starter Poster
Message 1 of 21 (356 Views)

We have an attached flat that barely recieves my broadband wifi signal and now wish to set up for my daughter. We are using a Vodafone HG659 in the house and I have another HG659 spare. Can I connect these two units say by cable to provide good wifi in the flat. If so is there a detailed link on how to set this up anywhere? Cheers Les

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Can I use toe HG659 routers at home?

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 21 of 21 (16 Views)

Hi.  I heen playing around again and have found the problem Smiley Happy

On the set up I have always had the Ethernet cable running from and to both routers on LAN2 on both routers. 

I tried connecteing the 'Flat' connection into the red WAN connection and bingo I now have maximum WiFi in the flat. 

Many thanks for help with all the other settings.

Cheers Les

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author LesR
‎14-12-2017 03:28 PM

All Replies
Contributor

by Contributor MrMorm Contributor
Message 2 of 21 (343 Views)

yes you can cable lan to lan between them.

Quick and dirty:

Before you plug the lan cable into the yellow ethernet ports, you'll need to log into the modem menu and turn off the DHCP option and change the modem ip address off 192.168.1.1 (eg make it 192.168.1.254).

Log ino the modem by browsing to 192.168.1.1, username Admin, password @<enter last 8 digits of serial number>

Click

- home network

- lan interface

- DHCP Server

- Untick dhcp server tick box

- click save

- click lan interface settings above

- change the last box in the ip address field to 254

- click save (modem may restart)

- if you want to log back in, do it the same way as the start,   but to 192.168.1.254

It should then work and you can connect to the second hg659 wifi

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 3 of 21 (247 Views)

Hi MrMorm. Have just got around to setting this up after getting a long ethernet cable but I am not seeing any improvement.  I have a continuos light on the power light and a blinking light on the LAN but these are faint lights.  Reading your reply again, maybe I have done this wrong. I followed your instructions on the the second router going into the flat and then connecting to the same LAN port on both modems.  Now I am wondering if I should have done it on the main router in the house instead. Any advice as to where from here please?  Cheers Les

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 4 of 21 (243 Views)

If power and LAN lights are on then that should be fine (there is no faint light with these - they are either on or off)

Blinking LAN light means traffic are going through

Are you sure you have connected to the flats HG659 wifi?

Make sure the wifi names are different on each hg659 otherwise your device will likely stay 'sticky' to which ever one it is attached to.

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 5 of 21 (236 Views)

Hi.  I disconnected my house modem and reconnected the flat modem to change name as you advised but when I try to log into 192.168.1.254 I get a message that "this site connot be reached" and I cannot get WiFi connection even though all the lights are working as per the house modem. Reconnected to the house modem and I have full internet conection again. Cheers  

Contributor

Message 6 of 21 (234 Views)

you need to have both modems plugged in in order for your PC to get access.

If you've turned off the dhcp server on the flat one your pc wont get a connection otherwise (without messing with settings even more)

Plug both modems in, connect to the one via a cable and log into it to recheck settings

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 7 of 21 (218 Views)

Hi again.

Have got conection to both router home pages now with the following details that I can see:

- Both routers have different names but the same password.

- Both routers have different MAC addreses and different IP addresses (House 192.168.1.1 & Flat 192.168.1.254)

- The LAN interface setting is showing connected full 1000Mbps.

- The flat router shows as an 'ethernet connected device' on both router pages.

- House router WLAN status is 'on' for both 2.4 & 5 Ghz SSID's, flat shows 'off' for both.

- House router shows as 'internet connected' whilst flat shows 'internet unavailable'

Current status is house router set up and working well with WiFi and internet. The flat router is connected via a Cat6 ethernet cable to the same LAN connection points on both routers. Still no WiFi Smiley Sad

If you can offer any other advice or other setting details to check I will try again tomorrow.  Cheers Les

Contributor

Message 8 of 21 (215 Views)

you say:

- House router WLAN status is 'on' for both 2.4 & 5 Ghz SSID's, flat shows 'off' for both.

The flat wifi needs to be on.  Turn it on (via menu or wifi button on the router) and make sure the wifi SSID is different to the house one.

Then connect to that wifi when in the flat.

Starter Poster

by LesR Starter Poster
Message 9 of 21 (182 Views)

Hi Have come back to try again but now the modem will not even power up. I have power from the transformer plug but nothing happens on the modem.  Guess its stuffed, maybe that has been the problem with it not working following your advice?  Thanks anyway.

Contributor

Message 10 of 21 (172 Views)

maybe a silly question, but you haven't bumped the power switch on the side of the modem by chance?

Stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 5w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors