Can I connect my landline phone through my modem. Tried but no success.

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Can I connect my landline phone through my modem. Tried but no success.

by Otaua Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (1,281 Views)

Noticed the 2 landline plugs on the back of the modem, so thought I would put 1 to use. Plugged in everything as per the instructions, but the modem is not seeing the phone line. Used the setup wizard and told it to use phone, but nothing. Do these actually work?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I connect my landline phone through my modem. Tried but no success.

by Senior Contributor gregmcc Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 8 (2,420 Views)

Basically it's a way to ditch you traditional phone line, we done this several years ago. We have naked broadband with VF this means the phone line that comes in to the house provides broadband only, no phone service, we have ported our local phone number to 2talk, we pluged our normal telephone in to the router and configured it to work with 2talk.

It works just like a normal phone, except way cheaper and heaps more features.

As far as using VF's router, it may not work as I am told that these are locked to VF VOIP services only, and at this point VF don't provide a VOIP service to home customers.

It may mean buying a new router to get it to work, or an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor), or staying with what you currently have

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author Otaua
‎14-08-2016 08:58 AM

All Replies
Senior Contributor

Message 2 of 8 (1,278 Views)

A bit more difficult than just plugging it in, you need a VOIP provider such as 2talk, easiest way is to set up a free account and get an 028 number, once that is working then you can port your landline to them, can the settings to reflect the account details and your away

Starter Poster

by Otaua Starter Poster
Message 3 of 8 (1,263 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. In the setup wizard, the program asks if the port is to be used for a phone or a VOIP connection. I selected phone as I thought this would accept just a standard phone to log calls. But what it really is, is a VOIP only. Is that correct?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Message 4 of 8 (2,421 Views)

Basically it's a way to ditch you traditional phone line, we done this several years ago. We have naked broadband with VF this means the phone line that comes in to the house provides broadband only, no phone service, we have ported our local phone number to 2talk, we pluged our normal telephone in to the router and configured it to work with 2talk.

It works just like a normal phone, except way cheaper and heaps more features.

As far as using VF's router, it may not work as I am told that these are locked to VF VOIP services only, and at this point VF don't provide a VOIP service to home customers.

It may mean buying a new router to get it to work, or an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor), or staying with what you currently have

Solution
Accepted by topic author Otaua
‎14-08-2016 08:58 AM
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Regular Contributor kamrind Regular Contributor
Message 5 of 8 (1,257 Views)

hi @Otaua Welcome to the Vodafone Community Smiley Very Happy

What kind of internet conenction have you got with Vodafone? ADSL, VDSL, Cable or Fibre

and are you a new customer or just recently changed/upgraded services?

Usually the VOIP ports get activated for fibre only connections and this is done by Vodafone automatically... 

Also what kind of modem have you got?

A: Vodafone Station

vodafone_stationv2.png

or

B: HG659
true.jpg

If you have an ADSL or VDSL connection generally you plug your phone into the phone jack and not the modem.

(* Sidenote: If you have a naked Broadband service then you will not have a landline.)

- Kamrin 

(I am not an employee of Vodafone New Zealand and i am not associated to the social media team. I am a regular Vodafone New Zealand customer that volunteers my time here to help make Vodafone a better place for all)

Vodafone Final Sig.png

Starter Poster

by Otaua Starter Poster
Message 6 of 8 (1,235 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. It is a vodafone station and I am becoming aware of the short comings. Will have to do more investigating.

Starter Poster

by Otaua Starter Poster
Message 7 of 8 (1,234 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. Best explaination yet! Will have to do more investigating.

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster Rangus Frequent Poster
Message 8 of 8 (1,202 Views)
Hi there
If you are after VOIP Phone and broadband service try a provider called Voyager. They have a website. Google them and yea you maybe impressed by there service. I have vdsl with them and my hone phone is connected through the modem / router. You will have to transfer your home number too them and they will set it up and there end and load the software on the modem / router.
It's not a bad price either and they are very competitive with other isp's in NZ.
Chours may have to come to your place depending on what service eg adsl, vdsl, fibre.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 40w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today