Asus DSL-N66U vdsl configuration

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Asus DSL-N66U vdsl configuration

by Steeneveld Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (5,057 Views)

I wasn't happy with the performance and operation of the vodafone supplied Huawei vdsl modem.

Performance (after the settling down period) was around 20gb with a theoretical maximum of 36gb.The Asus DSL-N66U took my speed up immediately to 32gb, so a good call.

The vdsl setup was far from a breeze however, after much trial and error this is what you need to do. First make sure the modem firmware is updated, some of this stock has been around for a while.

Using the quick setup select NZ but don't select vodafone, rather “not-listed”. Manually configure PPPoE as the connection type and Vlan ID as 10. Then unlike the supplied modem, you need to enter your vodafone login and password. The just follow through.

Under advanced setting you should have:

VDSL Internet, PPPoE, 802.1q enabled with Vlan 10, MTU default, IPv4 connections automatic, and PPP setting with you username and password.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Asus DSL-N66U vdsl configuration

Message 5 of 6 (7,533 Views)

Yes, it worked. I got a speed increase from 20Gb to 32GB which is close to the theoritical maximum of 36GB on the line.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Dylan (Retired Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 2 of 6 (5,040 Views)

Hi @Steeneveld 

Good to hear you're happy with the new modem, cheers for letting us and others know what's worked for you.

Just in case it's helpful to others we had a similar post a while ago where Manoj replied (he's a really good guy - works in faults here and knows his stuff) username and password aren't required. I understand we're doing port based authentication for VDSL. That post is over here  http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Broadband-landline-packs/Vodafone-VDSL-Settings-for-NON-Vodafone-...

I understand there's a new firmware coming out for the Huawei HG659 in the next couple of months, I don't know what is included at this stage but you may want to try the modem again later on, hopefully the team have ironed out what wasn't working for you.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 6 (4,975 Views)

Using this modem port based authtication didnt work.

Retired Staff

Message 4 of 6 (4,966 Views)

Okay. Were you able to enter the username and password, and did that work for you?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 6 (7,534 Views)

Yes, it worked. I got a speed increase from 20Gb to 32GB which is close to the theoritical maximum of 36GB on the line.

Solution
Accepted by Dylan (Retired Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Retired Staff

Message 6 of 6 (4,962 Views)

That's great. I'll mark your reply as a solution now in case other people are using the same modem.

Cheers

Dylan

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today