5G extender network and PS3

Starter Poster

5G extender network and PS3

by MattiSeikkula Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (229 Views)

I have ultrahub and 2 extenders - all working ok on my laptop and for my devices. How do i connect my PS3 on the extender network though - it is 5G and PS3 does not see it. can i extend 2.4 instead of 5 somehow?

Contributor

Re: 5G extender network and PS3

by Contributor MrMorm Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (216 Views)

The PS3 may not be getting enought signal - they aren't great for wifi.

If you put one of the exenders next to the PS3 and connect the PS3 to it via ethernet cable it should work - and work much better than on wifi

If the extender is neaby, then you may want to lower the channel on the extender so the PS3 can see it.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 3 of 7 (210 Views)

@MattiSeikkula

Thanks for the post - Extenders are 5Ghz only, best option would be an Ethernet into the Extender from PS4, especially for lag and download speeds. The Extender/UltraHub Wi-Fi speed is excellent, so cable will let you tap into that.

Cheers

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 7 (205 Views)

unfortunately this is downstairs room so no ethernet there. And I do not have PS4, I have a PS3 so 2.4G only. So is there an additional extender that I could buy that uses 2.4G instead (or transforms 5G to 2.4G?) but can connect to the AT/station of 5G? What are my choices really? 

Basically I had a 2.4G extender previously but it could not reach downstairs, with thee 2 I at least have managed to get wireless there, but cannot use it for anything (other than my devices like iPad - which I never use downstairs) Smiley Happy

Contributor

Message 5 of 7 (202 Views)

THe extenders have a mode called bridge mode which works great for me. THe Playstation doesn't need to support 5ghz wifi to use it.

Connect them like this

Modem ----- Wifi Extender  .   .   .   .   .   wifi . . . . . . . 2nd Wifi extender ------ethernet cable---- Playstation.

The two extenders should be able to see each other to form the link and the playtstation uses the cable to the second extender.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 7 (195 Views)

okay, so basically I will need to buy a 3rd extender to do this - we have an L shaped house in 2 floors (200sqm+) with the ps3 on one end downstairs, and the modem on other end upstairs. The 1st extender is attached to the modem, the 2nd extender is some 15 meters away from the 1st extender (upstairs) and the PS3 is another 15 meters away from the 2nd extender downstairs (30 meters away from the 1st extender/modem).

Is this somethign I can do - you can do?

modem - ethernet - AP (1st extender) - wifi - station (2nd extender) - wifi - station (3rd extender) - ethernet - PS3

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 7 of 7 (191 Views)

yeah, this is how I have it. You'll need a third if you dont want to sacrafice the 2nd one you have.

All the extenders pair back to the first one by the modem.

Stand next to the playstation and double check on another device that you can see the wifi from the main extender by the modem. Or temporarily place your current 2nd extender by the playstation and connect via cable to test.

If it works fine,  you are good to go and you can get a third unit.

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors