COMPLAINT: Vodafone converting long texts to MMS and charging without warning of charge.

Starter Poster

COMPLAINT: Vodafone converting long texts to MMS and charging without warning of charge.

by SiPollard Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (572 Views)

There was a time when if you sent a long text, the bearer would split it and send as separate texts, piecing them back together with the receiver. Now it seems Vodafone have found yet another way to take money off us (for doing very little actual work in return):

I get unlimited inclusive texts with my prepay bundle. Now, I find that if I send a long text, it is converted to an MMS which is not inclusive and charged at an exorbitant 0.50c each. Had I had some really obvious warning of this, I would have split the message or sent by different means. My complaint is that Vodafone do not provide a clear on screen warning of the charge that will be incurred when the message is converted to an MMS. I believe that they have a duty of care to do so. If they cannot do so, then they should not be allowed to charge.

I would like to lodge a formal complaint with Vodafone before I raise it with the watchdog, TDR.

Does anyone know where I can do this in writing?

Business Ninja Adept

Re: COMPLAINT: Vodafone converting long texts to MMS and charging without warning of charge.

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 8 (565 Views)

This is not a network function but a handset function, Handset is sending it as an MMS instead of an SMS.

Complaint can be raised here: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/contact/feedback/

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Re: COMPLAINT: Vodafone converting long texts to MMS and charging without warning of charge.

Message 3 of 8 (561 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

How convenient for Vodafone..... Please advise how I can turn OFF this highly undesirable functionality.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 4 of 8 (558 Views)

@SiPollard

What's the handset you have?

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 8 (554 Views)

Hi, it's a Samsung SM-G570Y

Business Ninja Adept

Message 6 of 8 (557 Views)

What brand and model handset do you have?

Starter Poster

Message 7 of 8 (553 Views)

Thanks it's a Samsung SM-G570Y

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Message 8 of 8 (544 Views)

http://www.phonetipsandtricks.com/tips/samsung-galaxy-j5/prevent-sms-turning-into-or-converting-to-m...

Hopefully this instruction might work on your handset

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 40w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors