TXTs to MTN South Africa not being received

Starter Poster

by 021332436 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (3,270 Views)
Just wanting to see if anyone else is having an issue with sending txt messages to MTN mobile numbers in South Africa. My mother has not received a single txt I have sent over the last 3 days.

Standing round the water cooler here at work, I have discovered 3 of my work mates are experiencing the same issue. They receive txt messages on their VF numbers, but the MTN recipients do not receive their replies.

Hoping that johnr will be around :)

Thanks, Debbie.
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 10 (3,270 Views)
Sorry JohnR has just left office for a bike ride up north today back tomorrow morning
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 3 of 10 (3,270 Views)
SMS team already engaged with this one. Should have an update later this afternoon
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 10 (3,270 Views)
johnr, on 24 October 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Sorry JohnR has just left office for a bike ride up north today back tomorrow morning

ENJOY!!
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (3,270 Views)
Nigel, on 24 October 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

SMS team already engaged with this one. Should have an update later this afternoon

Nigel - that's wonderful news! Thanks for letting me know. Maybe advise the Help Desk that this is a known issue as all I was told was "get your Mother to turn her phone off and on again". Needless to say, I was not happy.
Ninja Adept

Message 6 of 10 (3,270 Views)
Due to the time difference probably not a huge need there now - not a huge amount of people sending texts to a country where it will be the wee hours of the morning :)
Anyway regardless routing has been changed so this should have fixed the issue. Let me know if there's still a problem.
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 10 (3,270 Views)
WOOHOO!!! Thanks Nigel. My Mom received the txt I just sent. We are both SO HAPPY!!! Whatever needed to be done has obviously sorted the problem.
Thank you to all who sorted this out!
Ninja Adept

Message 8 of 10 (3,270 Views)
Glad it's sorted. I'll pass it on :)
New Poster

Re: TXTs to MTN South Africa not being received

by clintvan New Poster
Message 9 of 10 (348 Views)

@johnr

Hi John,  I am battling with something that the help lines for both MTN and Vodafone cant seem to help with.

I have an iphone on a South African network, being MTN.  When I am in NZ, which is 8 months of the year, I roam on the vodafone network, which works fine for making and receiving calls and texts.  I cannot, however, get the data to work.

I dont think it is settings on the MTN side as it works fine in Australia and Hong Kong with no changes to the settings.

When I turn on data roaming, it shows vodafine 3G at the top, but if I try download email or reach a web page it says "could not activate cellular data network"

The Vodafone call centre suggested i change my APN for cellular data from MYMTN to www.vodafone.net.nz, but this didnt fix the problem.

PLEASE HELP!

REgards

Clint

021 701 156

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Re: TXTs to MTN South Africa not being received

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 10 of 10 (336 Views)
Hi Clint,

VodafoneNZ Customer Service cannot help you with this sorry. All roaming support needs to be provided by your carrier. We are just the network you roam onto.

You definetely should not be using the www.vodafone.net.nz APN. When roaming you need to use your own carriers APN.

Best bet is to call your carrier and log a fault so this can be investigated.

Your carrier can liaise with VFNZ roaming engineering teams as required to resolve.

Cheers
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Posted from Apple iPhone
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today