Strange problem with Home Phone Wireless

Starter Poster

Strange problem with Home Phone Wireless

by GrantKeymer Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (516 Views)

About a month ago now I ordered the Vodafone Home Phone Wireless package for my mother-in-law.  My parents have been using the older 2G Panasonic model for more than 5 years now without any problems, so I thought it would be the ideal solution.  However, the unit supplied this time is made by Huawei and runs on 3G so it is quite different to the earlier model.

On some phone calls (but not others) there is a loud tone interfering with the call.  It is a pulsing tone, similar to a ringing tone, but you can hear the other person's voice in between the pulses.  If we hang up and try again, everything is fine, but this interference happens often enough to be annoying, not just on outgoing calls but also on incoming calls.

Is this likely to be a problem with the handset, or a network problem with the cellsite she is using?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Community Manager

Re: Strange problem with Home Phone Wireless

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 2 of 6 (504 Views)

@GrantKeymer

Thanks for the post and apologies re the issue.

Just trying to narrow things down - is the base station placed near anything else electrical?

Cheers

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 6 (499 Views)

Hi MIke,

Thanks for replying.  The only electrical items near the base are an Electric Jug and a Toaster.  We tried turning on the jug and then the toaster just now and it didn't cause any interference.

Hoping that helps.

Cheers,
Grant.

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 6 (470 Views)

After a trouble-free weekend, my mother-in-law's phone has been causing a lot of trouble today.  It took 4 tries before she was able to get through to us.  She is seriously considering cancelling the contract and reverting to a traditional landline.

Seems to me that it may be related to the amount of traffic on her local cellsite, near Tikipunga, Whangarei.

She dials the same numbers each time, but for the first 3 tries got a message that the number is invalid, please try again.

Can anybody from Vodafone offer any help?

Highlighted
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 5 of 6 (461 Views)

You can go into the settings of the device and lock it to 2G/GMS only and see maybe if the voice quality normalises.

Re the invali number respoonse that won't be anything to do with the cell site/network side of things. Would suggest dialled digits incorrect. Most common scenario is calling a local landline and not including the area code in front - this is still a mobile device after all so area code is a must.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 6 (444 Views)

That's a good thought, thanks Nigel.  Maybe the 2G mode will solve the issue of ringing tone being heard while a call is in progress; it's certainly worth a try.  I looked right through the setup menu when I installed her phone but don't remember seeing anything which mentioned 2G.  Is it a hidden option somewhere?

Regarding the dialling issue, our number is outside the local calling area so she has to always dial 09 anyway.  However, the same problem has happened with other numbers around Whangarei and also with a call to the USA.  It doesn't explain why the calls sometimes go through but often don't.

My immediate reaction was also 'finger trouble', so I told her to dial the digits more slowly.  However, she's in her 80s so I imagine she is already dialling them pretty slowly and that suggestion doesn't seem to have helped.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

Grant.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 39w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today