Stopped receiving SMS from an overseas number in mid-October

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Stopped receiving SMS from an overseas number in mid-October

by JoKo Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (769 Views)

Hi,

After a decade or so of exchanging SMSs with family overseas, as of mid October this year, Vodafone NZ no longer allows me to receive SMSs from an overseas number (the overseas carrier is Polkomtel). The last SMS I got from my family was on October 17th. Neither of us has changed our number, the way our number is entered nor have we added the recipient to spam or blacklist. Phone calling between our numbers is working without any issues - but is too expensive to use in the long run. I can send SMSs to the overseas number  but I can't receive her SMSs. My family member overseas can receive my SMSs and her messages appear to be sent ok, but never get to my phone.

She has also tried texting another person with Vodafone NZ phone, with the same results - SMSs can be sent from NZ to overseas, but not the other way round. What's interesting is that Telecom/Spark does not have this problem. Because my family must be able to contact me in an emergency, I have now purchased a prepaid Spark phone - there is no problem with texts in either direction.

Ideally I'd like my primary phone to work again. I have reported this issue to Vodafone twice and was fobbed off. I'm seriously considering  switching my number to Spark, as Vodafone is failing to provide me with the service that I got the phone for - being in touch with my family. Any thoughts of what I can do for Vodafone to take this issue seriously and start investigating?

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Stopped receiving SMS from an overseas number in mid-October

by JoKo Starter Poster
Message 6 of 8 (1,319 Views)

So Vodafone decided to block SMSs from an overseas provider which does not comply with Vodafone's business processes... without notice or communication of any kind to its customers. Bye bye Vodafone, moving to Spark, as I am keen on staying in touch with overseas family.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author JoKo
‎17-11-2015 08:57 PM

All Replies
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 2 of 8 (758 Views)

Hi JoKo

Do you have the fault reference numbers please? One of the team here will probably be able to take another look at it.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

by JoKo Starter Poster
Message 3 of 8 (756 Views)

Hi Dylan,

Thanks, I'd really appreciate someone taking a look at the issue! I called the Vodafone helpline on 28th and 31st October, but I have never been given a case ref number.

Cheers

Joanna

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 8 (739 Views)

@JoKo by reading your post, I can already tell you the reason why but I'll double check for you anyway:

Can you please DM me some examples IE:

A Party Number, B Party Number, date and time, and I'll take a look.

Thanks

I work in Mobile Technical Escalations and I volunteer my time here on the community helping out.
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 5 of 8 (714 Views)

@JoKo I have responded to your DM with details on why this is now failing.

Cheers.

I work in Mobile Technical Escalations and I volunteer my time here on the community helping out.
Starter Poster

by JoKo Starter Poster
Message 6 of 8 (1,320 Views)

So Vodafone decided to block SMSs from an overseas provider which does not comply with Vodafone's business processes... without notice or communication of any kind to its customers. Bye bye Vodafone, moving to Spark, as I am keen on staying in touch with overseas family.

Solution
Accepted by topic author JoKo
‎17-11-2015 08:57 PM
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 7 of 8 (652 Views)

That is not the full story. I understand in this case it needs to ideally be picked up with the sending network and that Sebastian has been looking into this with you further.

Starter Poster

by JoKo Starter Poster
Message 8 of 8 (635 Views)

Hi Dylan,

Ok, here’s the full story:

I have been a Vodafone customer since 2008. Communication with my overseas family worked fine both ways (texts and voice) from 2008 until mid-October 2015.

In mid-October, suddenly and without giving me any advance notice, Vodafone NZ started blocking texts from the overseas provider. When I reported the issue, I was initially advised by Vodafone phone support to restart my phone, check my blacklist settings, etc. This did not work, as Vodafone NZ (with 2.3 mln customers) was actually STOPPING overseas texts due to the overseas provider (with 13.6 mln customers) failure to route their SMSs through a Vodafone NZ-approved third party service provider...

None of the service provider business rules matter to me as a consumer. As a consumer, I do not care how my SMSs are routed between sender and recipient, I simply expect them to work. Vodafone NZ discontinued the service without the basic courtesy of letting me know; Spark either does not have routing rules or does not enforce them, and my family’s SMSs get through to me ok, which is all that matters to me.

Hope this clarification helps.

Regards

Joanna

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today