Roaming

Highlighted
Regular Poster
Accepted Solution

Roaming

[ Edited ]
by Regular Poster shandon Regular Poster
Message 1 of 6 (1,454 Views)

I am on an Open Term $29 plan eligible for $5/day roaming; however, I anticipate that in a forthcoming 3-week trip to Oz I will only have at the most 1 or 2 short calls/texts per day and no data.  Is there some way to relinquish the per day rate and revert to mins/text charges?

Accepted Solutions
Regular Poster

Re: Roaming

Message 3 of 6 (1,806 Views)

Many thanks.  I suspected that would be the case and it is a disadvantaging factor for a Iow user, such as myself, when roaming overseas .  I think it will be better for me to buy a local sim (eg Optus $2/day) for use in Oz. I will reassess my plan when I get some time on my return.  Again, my thanks for your prompt response.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author shandon
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Ninja Initiate

by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 2 of 6 (1,441 Views)

Hi @shandon 

It is not possible to discount the $5 per day roaming charge or revert to the old mins/txt charging as Australia is part of the 17 countries we offer the daily roaming deal.

You will be charged $5/day even if you send only 1 txt.

The casual roaming rates of per min/txt is only available if you roam outside of the 17 daily roaming destinations.

Cheers

Regular Poster

Message 3 of 6 (1,807 Views)

Many thanks.  I suspected that would be the case and it is a disadvantaging factor for a Iow user, such as myself, when roaming overseas .  I think it will be better for me to buy a local sim (eg Optus $2/day) for use in Oz. I will reassess my plan when I get some time on my return.  Again, my thanks for your prompt response.

Solution
Accepted by topic author shandon
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Regular Poster

Message 4 of 6 (1,271 Views)

I have just returned from 3 weeks in Oz, travelling mostly in the outback.  Telstra is the provider of choice if outside the coastal strip so I decided the Optus sim would probably not be a useful option, especially as I would have also needed a second phone to monitor my VF NZ service. Imagine my delight when I discovered VFNZ had established a roaming link with Telstra, so coverage  was as good as it could ever be in the circumstances.  The roaming charge was a small price to pay for the simplicity of the service.

Well done VF, now if only mobile, broadband and TV could be combined into one account.....

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 5 of 6 (1,264 Views)

shandon wrote:

I have just returned from 3 weeks in Oz, travelling mostly in the outback.  Telstra is the provider of choice if outside the coastal strip so I decided the Optus sim would probably not be a useful option, especially as I would have also needed a second phone to monitor my VF NZ service. Imagine my delight when I discovered VFNZ had established a roaming link with Telstra, so coverage  was as good as it could ever be in the circumstances.  The roaming charge was a small price to pay for the simplicity of the service.

Well done VF, now if only mobile, broadband and TV could be combined into one account.....

Glad to hear you had such a great experience - roaming has come a long way since the old days of having to manually select a cheaper network, then accidentally jumping on the more expensive one. Smiley Happy

We hear you on the single bill. There's a few hefty system upgrades and sticky business decisions that will need to be made, but I'm sure it will come with time.

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Ninja Master

by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 6 of 6 (1,259 Views)

VodafoneNZ has had a roaming agreement with Telstra AU for about 17 years Smiley Tongue

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today