RBI Port Blocking

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

RBI Port Blocking

by zl2sea Starter Poster
Message 1 of 38 (1,231 Views)

Is Vodafone working on a solution to the port blocking on 3G/4G Ruural Brouadband (RBI) ?

I have been having issues with blocked ports on RBI, and have had confirmation that Vodafone are blocking all incoming ports due to security issue on RBI.

I use a VOIP software that uses TCP port 5200, UDP ports 5198, 5199 but they don't allow port forwarding on RBI.

Is anyone else having this same isuue?

I guess if enough people complain they might fix the problem Smiley Happy

Talked to the tech support team and they advised to post the issue here Smiley Sad

any ideas ?

Thanks Regards Nigel

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: RBI Port Blocking

[ Edited ]
by zl2sea Starter Poster
Message 28 of 38 (1,092 Views)

Hi Chris & Mike,

thanks very much for sorting this out and fixing the RBI port blocking issue.

Well done VF it has taken a while but great to have the system working properly now.

Greatly appreciated.

All the Best.

Regards

Nigel

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author zl2sea
‎25-06-2016 06:04 PM

All Replies
Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 38 (1,163 Views)

Hi @zl2sea,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the Vodafone Community.

As Vodafone's mobile network uses CG-NAT, you won't be able to have any ports forwarded.

Kind Regards

^Ahmed

Starter Poster

by zl2sea Starter Poster
Message 3 of 38 (1,138 Views)

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Why is it that other RBI service providers that use the Vodafone network, example "Wireless Nation" can offer a solution and allow port forwarding for RBI using the vodafone network and Vodafone cannot?

This port blocking issue is a big issue to me and others I have talked too.

I hope Vodafone sort this out soon.

Thanks Regards Nigel

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 4 of 38 (1,122 Views)

Hi zl2zea

Thanks for the feedback, I've contacted our Rural Segment Manager and linked them to this discussion.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by cdmdotnet Starter Poster
Message 5 of 38 (1,107 Views)

More importantly the internet monitoring for my burglar alarm I've just discovered won't work because of this... and my insurance company requires monitoring... which for this system is IP based. Oh and the recommended provider your call centre gave me (http://radionetmonitoring.co.nz) has a site that says under construction... seriously??? you're solution is a company with no support (Just click ont he contact us link... page not found... probably just like a reliable business... not found here) or product information?

Surely you can't be opting for something so complex that the modern world of an internet connected house is not possible.

Starter Poster

by kernels Starter Poster
Message 6 of 38 (1,095 Views)

You have got to be kidding me, switched to RBI a couple of months ago, started up my software to allow a couple of devices I have roaming the country to connect and do firmware upgrades. Spent the last hour trying everything and not getting any connections, then I find this thread.

I have pre-programmed devices moving around the country trying to connect to me on Port 100 . . . 

Am I just screwed now ? Locked into a 2 year contract for a internet connection that does not allow basic functionality ?

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by cdmdotnet Starter Poster
Message 7 of 38 (1,089 Views)

Almost entirely yes. try looking a ngrok. It might help you. I on the other hand have to go with a much more complicate reverse SSH tinnels with port forwarding to get things to work.

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 38 (1,085 Views)

I wonder if a dialup connection through the phone line on my RBI modem will work, I assume VF will be happy to provide me with a free dialup connection. I don't need high speed, just a few kb of firmware to upload.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 9 of 38 (1,061 Views)

Hi all

I know this is important and have followed up with our RBI team about it. They're looking into options for public IPs on RBI instead of cg-nat. I've mentioned I have a few people in this discussion who would probably be happy to test it for us - will keep you posted.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 38 (1,055 Views)

Thanks Dylan

Stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 8 Kudos
  • 8 Contributors