Global Roaming - $5 a day

Business Ninja Adept

Re: Global Roaming - $5 a day

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 11 of 26 (532 Views)
@splicetrade just turn your phone off or take your Vodafone NZ SIM card out if you don't make any usage you won't be charged for anything.
I work in Mobile Technical Escalations and I volunteer my time here on the community helping out.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Ninja Master

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 12 of 26 (521 Views)

@splicetrade it's simple don't turn on the phone with the VodafoneNZ SIM card in the handset when overseas, Nothing more to it,

Phone can't roam if it's not powered on and attached to a roaming carrier,

Thanks Smiley Happy

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Regular Poster

[ Edited ]
by Regular Poster unhappy1 Regular Poster
Message 13 of 26 (517 Views)

splicetrade wrote:

@johnr How do I have Vodafone turn off roaming? I emaled but replies are often slow. I don't want to rack up the bill b.c someone was slow to act on it. I don't like that it automatically puts me on roaming. I don't want it. I am currently traveling. Thanks. 

Do you find the $5 roaming expensive like I do?

I think it should be $1 a day maybe $2,

If the $5 per day went to starship I'd be cool with the charge.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 14 of 26 (490 Views)
Seriously, you think $5 per day is expensive for global roaming? How much did you pay for your trip overseas?
Posted from HTC 0P6B
Highlighted
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster crosis Frequent Poster
Message 15 of 26 (455 Views)

Hi Unhappy1

No sorry, I find $5 a day remarkably good value. Being able to just carry on using my phone as normal anywhere is one of the main reasons I stay with Vodafone and the effect of this feature has been to reduce my phone bills on some trips by hundreds of $. On three different trips in the past year I spend around 30 days in Europe. $150 of $5 days was less than a single phone call helping a client through an issue on a previous trip. And I got to use my data and everything else too.

It is also WAY cheaper than Spark.

The only thing that needs to change is Vodafone NZ need to piggy back off Vodafone Australia.I know its ironic someone with the name Crosis recommends a collective solution, but there you go.

In fact Vodafone (if you are reading), I would happily pay a bit more per day to get countries that Aussi already has and that NZ doesnt.

Crosis

Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 16 of 26 (447 Views)

Interesting feedback thanks @crosisI'll pass that on to marketing.

Chris

Vodafone Social Media Team
Contributor

by Contributor gr0unded Contributor
Message 17 of 26 (81 Views)

Hmm, I find the $5 per day potentially very expensive. For example my wife an I are off on a 9-week trip to Europe. If we each used our phone just once each day, that would be around $600 plus the additional call charges. To me, that is a lot of money on top of our monthly bill.

A question. If I turn my phone on in Greece and there is a text from Vodafone offering me some deal or other, does that cost me $5 plus the cost of the txt? How barmy is that?

So we just leave our phones turned off and carry two useless bricks around (for which I will be paying $19 prepay per month and she will be paying $30 on account per month). Can we not suspend our NZ numbers for the duration of the trip and purchase a local sim ?.

I really would be interested in the answers to these questions.

Chris

Vodafone Ninja

Message 18 of 26 (77 Views)

Hi @gr0unded

The concept of daily roaming, is to use your phone like you're at home. This means making calls, txts and data as you would normally, and only incurring a daily fee of $5. Now obviously if you're going on a 9 week trip, it's not going to be cheap, however if you take into consideration previous roaming rates before daily roaming was introduced, you could be paying as much as $5 per minute to make a call, and $10 per MB of data. 

The daily roaming charge is only incurred when you make or receive a call, send a txt, or use data, not when you receive a txt. 

Daily roaming is only available on postpay plans, so you can't get it on prepay. 

If you're wanting to suspend your numbers, the prepay one is as simple as not topping up so your plan doesn't renew while you're away, and the postpay one, you just need to call Customer Care, and they can suspend it for up to 3 months. 

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Contributor

by Contributor gr0unded Contributor
Message 19 of 26 (75 Views)

Thank you Sam for such a speedy and considered reply. I think we may seek to have my wife's number suspended for the duration. However, whilst I have no wish to challenge your knowledge, the Vodafone website does appear to suggest that Pre-Pay Roaming is available in Europe though the charges, $2 per minutes for outgoing and $1 per minute for incoming calls and $10 per Mb for data are sufficiently prohibitive to render it effectively unavailable.

Chris

Vodafone Ninja

Message 20 of 26 (72 Views)

Hi @gr0unded

What @sams is saying is that $5 Daily roaming is only for our On Account customers. So you wouldn't be able to take advantage of this on your Prepay connection.

Thanks

^HamishA

Stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 15 Kudos
  • 12 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today