GSM Sim Card

Business Ninja Adept

Re: GSM Sim Card

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 11 of 16 (149 Views)

No problem. Hope you get it sorted Smiley Happy.

Cheers

I work in Mobile Technical Escalations and I volunteer my time here on the community helping out.
Highlighted
Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 12 of 16 (141 Views)

@sturman Just make sure, if you're wanting to use GPRS data, that you configure the correct APN in the device.

APN name: vodafone

Username and password are blank.

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Starter Poster

by sturman Starter Poster
Message 13 of 16 (127 Views)

I now have the Wavecom modem running with SIM installed and have connected to it via a basic terminal program. I am not sure how I can check the APN details, but the following command (network registration):

AT+COPS=?

gives the response:

+COPS: (2,"vodafone NZ","vodafone N","53001"),(3,"","","53024")

so it seems to be connected to the vodafone network, but I am not sure whether the settings are correct. To test registration status, I have used the command:

AT+CREG?

which gave the response:

+CREG: 0,1

which appears to mean 'registered, home network'.

Please can you confirm that this appears to be OK (there is nothing else I need to check)? If so, my next task is to work out why it rings once and goes silent (there should be squeaks and sqawks of data going back and forth, like the old fashioned phone modems).

Thanks,

Andy

Business Ninja Adept

Message 14 of 16 (122 Views)

That looks fine to me.

I am thinking maybe this device uses Circuit Switched Data?

If so this needs to be provisioned on our end. And can only be done On Account (Postpay) not Prepay.

I work in Mobile Technical Escalations and I volunteer my time here on the community helping out.
Starter Poster

by sturman Starter Poster
Message 15 of 16 (90 Views)

Ok, thanks, although I am a little confused by the following comment from the Wikipedia entry for GPRS (which may well not apply to the NZ 2G situation):

'GPRS usage is typically charged based on volume of data transferred, contrasting with circuit switched data, which is usually billed per minute of connection time.'

Anyway, please can you tell me the process of getting a SIM set up for Circuit Switched Data for a GSM/GPRS 2G modem? Can this be done at a Vodafone shop, for example? Will they understand what I am talking about? 

Thanks again,

Andy

Business Ninja Adept

Message 16 of 16 (85 Views)

You can sign up for any Postpay (OnAccount) Plan in a Vodafone store.

You can ask them to provision CSD once activated.

If they don't know how, when you have an active Postpay number, DM me and I can set up the CSD for you.

Cheers

Stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 22w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today