Data use

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Data use

[ Edited ]
by Contributor Fantail18 Contributor
Message 1 of 12 (876 Views)

I have just checked my usage online and notice a small data usage charge on the 9/8 which I haveno idea what it was for?  I don't use moble data but I did make an international call the same day.  Any ideas why I was charged for data usage?

Just to add, how can I make sure my Huawei Y6 Elite never uses Mobile data unless I want it to - eg where do I make sure it's switched off?  Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Ninja Adept

Re: Data use

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 12 (1,528 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MikeHales (Community Manager)
‎23-08-2017 05:27 PM

All Replies
Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 2 of 12 (840 Views)

@Fantail18

There's no sure fire way to ensure no data use at all but I'd certainly recommend checking app by app to ensure it's requests permission to use data. Most common incidents are GPS pinging for location, email downloads, or social apps making or checking or updates.

I'm the opposite though with more data use than most! Maps, social, email and more besides.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 12 (827 Views)

Hey thanks Mike.  I've turned off mobile data on all my apps so hopefully that will sort the problem (and I haven't done something to mess up the working of my phone Smiley Sad), will have to watch out next time I make an international call.

Ninja Adept

Message 4 of 12 (1,529 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MikeHales (Community Manager)
‎23-08-2017 05:27 PM
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 12 (813 Views)

Hi Nigel, thanks for that.  I've had a look and can see that data ws used on the 9/8  (only 293KB) but I can't work out what used it.  Is there a way I can find that out?

Also, there are some networked apps on my phone that I don't use (weather etc) can I force stop these without doing any harm?

Highlighted
Ninja Adept

Message 6 of 12 (804 Views)

I would have presumed it would have been the traffic user ranking or networked apps options which would display which app/service used the data.

I see no harm in force stopping what you mention.

Of course the best method to not use data is simply to disable cellular data in the phone settings and turn it on when you do

Contributor

Message 7 of 12 (802 Views)

Thanks Nigel, I'll see if I can check that out.  Sorry to be a bit dense, but is there a way, on my phone, that I can disable cellular data to cover everything?  I only ever use it with WiFi which I turn on and off when I need it.

Ninja Adept

Message 8 of 12 (798 Views)
Contributor

Message 9 of 12 (790 Views)

You are a star!  On emore question, it's currenlty set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto, do I need to chose GSM only or one of the other settings to turn it off (WCDMA/GSM auto or WCDMA only)

Ninja Adept

Message 10 of 12 (788 Views)

I'd leave that as is. Putting it to GSM only just forces your phone to 2G.

Voice and txt also happens on 3G and since the coverage footprints can be different between the two technologies you might sometimes limit coverage. Also if there's a 2G fault on your local cell tower then presuming its operating ok it will be able to use 3G still.

LTE is 4G - we only use this for data currently. However so long as mobile data is turned off then no harm

Stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 12w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today