broadband usage actual DETAIL

Starter Poster

broadband usage actual DETAIL

by alex88 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 11 (914 Views)

Hi there!

Anyone know where can I get details of our usage. I.e. VF's webpage tells me HOW MUCH GB in traffic I have clocked on any particular day, but I would like to know which websites or servers we used this amount of data on.

VF's web is indicating that we used 62GB on one day, which seems very unlikely. At any rate we would like to be able to check where was all this traffic to/from.

Thanks for any help!

Alex

Business Ninja Adept

Re: broadband usage actual DETAIL

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 11 (900 Views)

You won't be able to get that information from Vodafone.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

by alex88 Starter Poster
Message 3 of 11 (876 Views)

Thanks for your reply, Sebastian.

The thing is, I'm seriously concerned that someone could be using my connection without me knowing, and the only way I could check about this -that I can think of- is to check what the sites visited are.

I know that this information is available somewhere, and my ISP seems the natural place to go for it. Or do you have any other suggestions?

Regards,

Ale

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 11 (870 Views)

You could log into your modem, Depending on the make/model there should be a option there called DHCP (or something simliar).

Its here that you can see all the devices that have connected to your connection which i assume is wifi.

It should give a name of the device as well as a MAC address.

If you spot something amiss, that is a device you do not recongize, then again you should be able to block that MAC address.

You will need to consult your manual but I have a D-Link modem and it looks easy enough to set up a block.

Of course if you do see anything suspisoius then changing the wifi password would be a good idea as well

Starter Poster

by alex88 Starter Poster
Message 5 of 11 (825 Views)

I really appreciate the intension to help, capcomnz. The truth is that I have no idea how to log into my modem.

I am left with the disappointing feeling that VF doesn't care much about their customers experience. After a few years of paying very fat bills on time, this is not a minor issue.

Community Manager
Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 6 of 11 (809 Views)

Hi @alex88 - This level of information is not something that can be provided for free by any NZ ISP to my knowledge as it is prohibitively expensive to implement. We can tell you how much data you used on a specific day, but imagine for a moment how much processing power and disk space it would require for us to log millions of events at the level of detail you're asking for every second. It just isn't viable.

Most businesses who require this kind of system implement a 3rd party web proxy server (like WebMarshal), which can log traffic in this manner and supply reporting services. It's a pretty resource-hungry application though, if memory serves.

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 7 of 11 (773 Views)

@Lon wrote:

Hi @alex88 - This level of information is not something that can be provided for free by any NZ ISP to my knowledge as it is prohibitively expensive to implement. We can tell you how much data you used on a specific day, but imagine for a moment how much processing power and disk space it would require for us to log millions of events at the level of detail you're asking for every second. It just isn't viable.

Most businesses who require this kind of system implement a 3rd party web proxy server (like WebMarshal), which can log traffic in this manner and supply reporting services. It's a pretty resource-hungry application though, if memory serves.

Not to mention the privacy implications of handing out this kind of data to a user. As per NZ privacy law, usage details could only be given to the end user who actually made the usage (Usage detail is considered private information, and as such can only be released to the end user actually making the usage) We don't know who or how many users use your broadband connection. If carriers dished up a full list of everything accessed from the connection, you could be intentionally (in this case as you're wanting to see other users access detail) receiving information / access to information you are not entitled to know under NZ privacy law.

I think you'll find that you would not be able to get the sort of details you're after, if you were on any other NZ ISP either.

If you're concerned that someone else is using your connection, the best thing to do is change your WIFI password..

If you've changed your wifi password and then are still noticing high usage, it must be coming from one of the devices on your network then. Best idea would be to remove connected devices one by one and monitor usage for some time (one or two days) after disconnecting each device, and then when the usage amount goes down again, you will know which device is causing the high usage. Then you can take it from there and see what on this device is causing high usage.

Thanks

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Senior Contributor

Message 8 of 11 (799 Views)

@alex88

Its actually very easy to log into your router.

Whats the make / model that you are using. Is it a Vodafone supplied one or one brought from a store ?

Go to the router and underneath or on the back there will be a sticker that tells you.

Basically all you do is open you browser that yo use.

At the top in where the webpage details show you type something like: 192.168.1.1 the enter

Thats what I use....yours might be different, thats why I need to know the make/model of the router

This will open the routers webpage. Enter the username/password - again will find this with the make/model but most just defalut to admin and admin as username and password.

Once enetred the you can then browse the settings of the router and find the DHCP settings.

Its here that you can see what "devices" have been connecting to your router.

Sounds complicated but it isnt.

If you can get me the make / model details then  I can give better instructions.

Starter Poster

by alex88 Starter Poster
Message 9 of 11 (722 Views)

Thanks for the great help. I logged in to the modem and found many addresses that we don't recognise (even considering some may belong to ocassional visitors who logged in with their mobiles). Is there a way to -say- block any address we do not recognise from the modem gateway? Thanks again

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Message 10 of 11 (694 Views)

@alex88

Yes there should be a way to block thoise MAC address.

You might want to google your modems make and model to get further help or refer to the manual (if one came that is actually helpful). Most manufactur sites should have details.

Just make sure that the address/devices you use regualy dont get blocked (but you can aways remove the block later)

I dont think MAC address change. I think they are assigned by the manufacturer

My modem shows the Device Name as well....for example....iPad: MAC address: XXXXXX (letters/numbers)

The device name should help identifing the device thats connected.

You can also go around your devices and look under the settings option and perhaps an Network option (will vary from device) and see what the MAC address is. This way you can identify on your router what MAC address belongs to what device, but like I said most modems "should" also show the device name as well.

Also remember that if you have any video game systems connected (PS4,Xbox etc) then these can automaticlly do system or game updates and some game updates can be huge.

I recently brought Doom for the Nintendo Switch and it did an update which was over 8Gb !

A number of these can certainly use up data !!

Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 30w ago
  • 6 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors