WiFi hotspot on iPad2

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

WiFi hotspot on iPad2

by ths1963 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (1,702 Views)

Hi, I am interested in purchasing a prepaid mobile data plan when i come to NZ. I have an iPad2 with GSM, running the newest iOS 9.1. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that there is a standard possibility to use the iPad2 as a WiFi hotspot. I have heard that some mobile broadband providers can add this function to the iPad2. Does Vodafone enable the use of an iPad2 as WiFi hotspot. I will need that for giving some of my kids devices access to the internet. Any ideas or tips are highly appreciated.

Greetings from Denmark

Thomas

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: WiFi hotspot on iPad2

Message 7 of 7 (3,212 Views)

Hi Dylan
Once again thak you for you looking at this. That confirmed me in going for the Pocket WiFi solution.

Greetings from Denmark

Thomas

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author ths1963
‎11-11-2015 08:29 PM

All Replies
Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 7 (1,682 Views)

Hi @ths1963,

Apologies for the late reply. We do support hotspot and this feature should get enabled on your iPad, however we cannot guarantee if the hotspot functionality will be definitely enabled or not. Can you please provide us with the model number of the iPad and we will try and find out more information on this for you.

Alternatively you can go for our pocket wifi. Please visit this link http://bit.ly/1WDCTG5 for more information about the pocket wifi.

Kind regards,
Arif Khan.
Social Media Advisor
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 3 of 7 (1,678 Views)

Hi Thomas

Generally speaking, we don't apply any restrictions as to device type accessing particular data services. Some other telecommunications companies have tethering as a premium feature, but not here. So long as your device supports it, and you have a sim card with a mobile data balance, it's good to go.

But - I've looked into this a little and unfortunately I think the iPad 2 doesn't support that feature according to this list on the Apple site https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201926

You may want to set up tethering on another device (like a cellphone) or if you need a dedicated device the Pocket Wifi Arif mentioned is a very good device. It comes with a sim card and connects to our 4G network then can share the mobile data connection with up to 10 devices using wifi. You may want to purchase additional data packs as well, there's 5GB available for $80, and you also get 500MB free each time you top up $20 or more.

Hope that helps.

Dylan

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 7 (1,661 Views)

Hi Arif
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate that you will give it a closer look, the iPad2 model number is: MC775KN/A

Best regards
Thomas Schmidt

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 7 (1,659 Views)

Hi Dylan
Thank you for digging into that, I also have read that my iPad doesn't support tethering. But then I have found posts that said that some service providers have programmed/developed an add-on for their customers, giving their iPad2 customers access to the desired function. I don't know if this is true or not, that's why I asked you experts.
My iPhone5 could work as hotspot, but then I have to change Sim card and couldn't be accessible on that number.
I will give the Pocket WiFi a close look as it could be the most practical solution here. Just one question to that: Once I leave NZ and return home, would the Pocket WiFi work with any mobile broadband Sim or is it locked?
Have a nice weekend
Thomas Schmidt

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 6 of 7 (1,619 Views)

Hi Thomas

I have looked into this a bit more. It seems there were a couple of alternative methods to get that kind of working for the iPad 2, but I really doubt the reliability of them and wouldn't want to recommend them to you. One involved jailbreaking and another involved a subscription, by the time you've paid for that you would have been better off going for a pocket wifi anyway, and it will work better and with more devices! Smiley Happy

ths1963 wrote:

Once I leave NZ and return home, would the Pocket WiFi work with any mobile broadband Sim or is it locked?

Our Pocket WiFi devices are not locked to our network. So, yes, you would be able to use another sim in them when you return home.

Another alternative like you identified would be to use another phone that supports tethering. This is a feature on many Android phones, including older ones, so if you did happen to have one available that could work. The Pocket WiFi has the advantage of being dedicated to and designed for the purpose.  Up to you either way. Smiley Happy

Cheers

Dylan

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 7 (3,213 Views)

Hi Dylan
Once again thak you for you looking at this. That confirmed me in going for the Pocket WiFi solution.

Greetings from Denmark

Thomas

Solution
Accepted by topic author ths1963
‎11-11-2015 08:29 PM
Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 9 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today