Unable to phone Using a AU Sim in NZ

Starter Poster

Unable to phone Using a AU Sim in NZ

by TheKnowing Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (1,832 Views)

Hi Vodafone

I have recently come over to New Zealand from Melbourne. I sadly not able to use my vodafone phone to contact any one. I brought it into the store, after waiting for an hour they said nothing can be done on there side there must be an issue on Vodafone AU. Weird but ok. 

So from what I understood is that when you are trying to select the mobile network it looses the signal. So its got signal then once you select for instance vodafone NZ(3G) it tries to register, comes with an error message: Unable to Connect, try Later. 

At the vodafone store they said they have placed a APN or VPN settings or so forth. 

I am not able to call vodafone as when I do it says: Not Registered on network. 

Can you please guide me in the right direction. 

Regards

TheKnowing

Retired Staff

Re: Unable to phone Using a AU Sim in NZ

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 2 of 8 (1,829 Views)

Hi @TheKnowing ,

Welcome to the Community. Smiley Happy

Which phone do you have? Are you trying to roam on the Vodafone NZ network using your Vodafone AU SIM card?

If so, have you successfully used this phone & SIM for roaming in the past/checked with Vodafone AU that roaming has been enabled?

Thanks,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 8 (1,824 Views)

Hi Nikt Smiley Happy 

Thank You for your fast reply. 

I am using a Samsung S4. What I am trying to do is use my phone in NZ, not quite sure if I need data roaming or so, but I have no way to contact vodafone due to me not being able to use my phone so not sure how to check if data roaming is activated? 

Do you occur a charge using data roaming in NZ? 

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Ninja Initiate

by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 4 of 8 (1,817 Views)

@TheKnowing 

Sounds like you need to talk to Voda AU support.

May be you want to post your message on the Voda AU community

http://community.vodafone.com.au

Retired Staff

Message 5 of 8 (1,813 Views)

TheKnowing wrote:

Hi Nikt Smiley Happy 

Thank You for your fast reply. 

I am using a Samsung S4. What I am trying to do is use my phone in NZ, not quite sure if I need data roaming or so, but I have no way to contact vodafone due to me not being able to use my phone so not sure how to check if data roaming is activated? 

Do you occur a charge using data roaming in NZ? 

Kind Regards

Hi @TheKnowing ,

You would need to contact Vodafone AU to have them check your account out from their end. When you roam using your home SIM card, all the billing and service availability is handled by your home network provider, so the charges for using calls/texts/data in NZ will depend on the plan you have with Vodafone AU. Roaming may have to enabled by Vodafone AU before it will work at all.

Vodafone AU also have a Community forum at community.vodafone.com.au, so if you ask them to take a look at your account to see if roaming is enabled, they should be able to sort this out. This would be any kind of roaming - voice and text as well as data.

I've had a look at the Vodafone AU site, and these links may be useful:

Main Roaming Page

Roaming Troubleshooting Guide

If you'd rather pick up a Vodafone NZ SIM card and pay local rates while you're here instead of roaming rates, we can definitely help you out with that. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

- Nik

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 8 (1,803 Views)

NikT wrote:

If you'd rather pick up a Vodafone NZ SIM card and pay local rates while you're here instead of roaming rates, we can definitely help you out with that. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

- Nik

Thank you all for the reply, regarding this I am sure I will not pay roaming rates when its the same company? 

Would I be charged more having a AU sim than a NZ sim? The issue is that they said I will not be able to have the same number if I buy a NZ sim according to the local Vodafone shop is this correct? Plus I am a contract so I would like to still use the bundle that I am paying for. 

Thanks again for the replies. 

Retired Staff

Message 7 of 8 (1,796 Views)

TheKnowing wrote:

NikT wrote:

Cheers,

- Nik

Thank you all for the reply, regarding this I am sure I will not pay roaming rates when its the same company? 

Would I be charged more having a AU sim than a NZ sim? The issue is that they said I will not be able to have the same number if I buy a NZ sim according to the local Vodafone shop is this correct? Plus I am a contract so I would like to still use the bundle that I am paying for. 

Thanks again for the replies. 

Hi @TheKnowing ,

It is the same global brand, but separate countries and separate companies. When you travel to a different country and connect to a network in that country with your home network's SIM, you will pay roaming rates because you are roaming on that network. Smiley Happy

Roaming rates are always a little pricier than paying local rates.

If you had an NZ SIM, you would have an NZ number as well (021 xxx xxxx). If you want to use your Australian SIM and number, you will need to pay the roaming rates. It looks like Vodafone AU have a deal similar to Vodafone NZ where you can pay $5 per day to roam and use your included minutes, texts, and data as normal, but you will need to contact Vodafone AU to confirm your plan is eligible, and that this has been activated on your account.

As above, I'd recommend having a look at those links on the Vodafone AU website, and asking about this in the Vodafone Australia Community.

Cheers,

- Nik

Ninja Master

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 8 of 8 (1,765 Views)

@TheKnowingWhen you use a SIM card in a foreign county all transactions (Voice calls / SMS / Data) are still controlled by the home network as in this case will be Vodafone AU

Here is link off to Wikipedia that will help you understand how roaming works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaming

You are still a Vodafone AU customer no matter what network you connect to around the world,

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today