Sure Signal on non-VF connections

Senior Contributor

Sure Signal on non-VF connections

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 1 of 9 (1,303 Views)

Hi Guys,

Given now we're in the age of just about every ISP offering an unlimited plan of sorts, are we likely to see the restriction of Sure signal units only working on Vodafone connections being lifted?

I'm still keen to put one in our Office as we have next to no signal here just outside of Hamilton, but the IT-powers-that-be here use Spark for everything.

Thanks

Ninja Master

Re: Sure Signal on non-VF connections

by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 2 of 9 (1,290 Views)

Hi @shadow 

Nope I can't see this happening anytime if ever, What happens if you have a issue with Sure Signal who are you going to call how can Vodafone fault check this end to end?

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Senior Contributor

Message 3 of 9 (1,288 Views)

We still use Landlines in our office so calling for support wouldn't be a problem :-)

I guess the only answer really would be is selling the unit with a limit on support if you use a "3rd party" internet connection where you can only trace faults to the edge of the VF network, but for the tech savvy out there have a list if checks that could be done to help diagnose any faults.

One reason I bring this question up is apparently the Newstead GSM site has been knocked offline by builders on site, our poor cafe lady who relies on GPRS for eftpos is struggling currently with between zero and 1 bar of coverage (not sure if a fault has been logged)

Ninja Master

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 9 (1,283 Views)

Customers would not see it that way, If you provide a solution like Sure Signal they would expect Vodafone to support it end to end , If Vodafone found no issue then they would expect us to work with the other ISP to resolve the issue

Sure Signal would be no good in this case as they are 3G only and not 2G / GPRS

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 5 of 9 (1,268 Views)

The thing with a SureSignal is that it isn't really a signal amplifier (like an antennae) at all, it is an actual base station receiver, like a full micro mobile tower in your house.  The reason it needs to be on our network, is that the back end of the product routes through a rather complex backbone which connects back to our mobile platform via our broadband network.

Every other ISP can deploy the same sort of thing to connect to their own network - but they'd need to cough up for the network infrastruture and get their own BSRs for customers. Smiley Happy

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Senior Contributor

Message 6 of 9 (1,263 Views)

Are there any legal alternatives out there like a signal booster?

Ninja Master

Message 7 of 9 (1,261 Views)

The only legal option is Sure Signal

New Poster

by PaulArnold New Poster
Message 8 of 9 (80 Views)

Does this then mean that Vodafone "Sure Signal" will not work with Smart Power Meters to send power usage datat to Power Company ?

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 9 of 9 (71 Views)

Correct.

Power meters typically operating on 2G G900 only, Sure Signal only provides a 3G U2100 signal.

I work in Mobile Technical Escalations and I volunteer my time here on the community helping out.
Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today