Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

by Boomnz Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (174 Views)

hI, Im on the RBI with antenna on the roof. Ive been on this for well over 2 yrs. What has happened is my modem has dropped 4g and connects 3g only. Ive tried all the usual tricks to force it to 4g lte in settings but after choosing 4g the modem lights up to cyan colour for 10 sec then  back to blue. ive tried rebooting, removing sim, rebooting but does not fix the issue. Anttena on roof i can vouch is good. hasnt changed its position. in fact i have x 2 anttenas. which helps as im on the very fringe of reception .with 2 antennas i get about 9 mbps download  on 3g ,  and 15 mbps on 4g. 4g makes all the differance when streaming etc.

im thinking theres something wrong with the modem  or sim card needs replacing .   The reason for this is

my next door nieghbour is also on the same rbi with vodafone as me and her modem is still on 4g  (cyan colour.)  yet still cant get mine to accept 4g.    So  i know its not an outside problem  but to do with my modem or sim.

could you send me  a new sim to try ? its all i can think of.

Frequent Poster

Re: Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

by Frequent Poster Phil_W Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 3 (102 Views)

Is the 3g and 4g on the same tower? Are you still getting a good signal as even if aerial is ok... the connections can corrode?. Unlikely and also technically not a good explanation, but Did VF change the frequency..... And the modem etc not able to latch on? Any issue with obstruction within the Fresnel zone?

In my case the 3g is largely equivalent to 4g for data rates but possibly because the arise from different towers

Posted from Samsung SM-G950F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

by Boomnz Starter Poster
Message 3 of 3 (95 Views)

Hi Phil,Thanks for your reply.  I went into  vodafone the other day, and asked for a new replacement sim for my b315-as advised to me by customer help on the phone. i was told that as my set up is over 2 yrs old , my sim is probably a little out of date.  A new one was given at no charge at the counter and when placed into my router it immediatly connected to 4g and also at a much higher download speed than ive experienced bafore!. 25mbps. wheres before on 4g i could only get 12 mbps.So funny that aye.  But its not consistant. after a few hrs its dropped to 12 mbps again all day every day. so i turned  router off, removed  sim card and turned router on again (with red signal light ) and left it that way all night. put the sim card back in and  it downloads at 24 mbps again. for a few hrs then its back to 12mbps!?. And it will stay that way it seems untill i do that pull the sim card trick.  Im still in the testing phase at the moment to see if it is consistant with that  test. Curiose as to why that happens tho aye.

Yes im in a fresnal zone area. The installer told me all those yrs ago that i can only connect to one tower and that it is a reflected signal off a hill.so my antenna points at a right angle away from where the tower actually is.   Which would explain why i only can get 1 bar on 4g  and 3 full bars on 3g.

I will consider my problem solved for now .

cheers

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors