Issues using Outlook for iPhone App to access @vodafone.co.nz email address

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Issues using Outlook for iPhone App to access @vodafone.co.nz email address

by Contributor sikcapri Contributor
Message 1 of 8 (1,906 Views)

Hi All,

Last few days I've been trying unsucessfully to setup the new MS Outlook iPhone App to access my @vodafone.co.nz email address.

I've set it up to get my Gmail no worries, but each time I try and configure the @vodafone account using the IMAP account option, I get either an 'SMTP auto-discovery failed' (if trying to use simple settings) or a 'SMTP Login Failed' (if using advanced settings) error.

I see from reading the MS support page about configuring accounts on the app (https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Set-up-email-on-iPhone-iPad-or-iPod-Touch-b2de2161-cc1d-49e... it suggests using the built in iOS mail app for POP3 accounts (I'm already doing that......) so I'm assuming thats the usual MS way of saying they aren't supporting POP3 accounts with the Outlook iOS app.

So I have two questions following on from this:

1.  Are the @vodafone.co.nz  email servers only POP, and if so is this the likely reason why I can't configure this account? If so, when are these servers being upgraded to IMAP? POP belongs in the late 90's when everyone only accessed email with a single PC and providers had 10MB inbox storage limits.......
  2. Anyone have/know of any workarounds I might be able to use to get my @vodafone.co.nz account configured and working with the Outlook iPhone App.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Issues using Outlook for iPhone App to access @vodafone.co.nz email address

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 8 (3,569 Views)

Hi Ruth,

smtp2.vodafone.net.nz?

That's contrary to whats listed here for the @vodafone.co.nz  email address I have:

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Personal-and-Business-Broadband/Read-Me-Email-Settings/td-p/1081...

As per my other post, a complete and iOS9 specfic list of settings would be really advantageous.

That aside as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm moving this to antoehr thread as it's gone off topic now.

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/iPhone-iPad/Accessing-vodafone-co-nz-email-address-from-iOS-mail...

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author sikcapri
‎06-10-2015 10:10 AM

All Replies
Contributor

Message 2 of 8 (1,902 Views)

Okay, done a bit more reading and found there are IMAP settings for @vodafone.co.nz email addresses so figuring this probably isn't the issue.

It seems more that the Outlook for iPhone app is requring SMTP Authentication details to be entered (it makes you enter them), but is not accepting my credentials despite the fact they are entered as exactly as descried here:

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Personal-and-Business-Broadband/Read-Me-Email-Settings/td-p/1081...

I note from reading the Outlook for iOS help that the SMTP server MUST have a valid SSL certificate otherwise the account can not be configured, would it be too much to assume the vodafone email servers all have these?

FYI I am accessing from both 4G and from non-Vodafone work WiFi, both behave the same way.

Any help would be appreacited!!

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 3 of 8 (1,889 Views)

@sikcapri yep that would be the issue then. There is no SSL on smtp.vodafone.co.nz.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 8 (1,867 Views)

Hi @sebastianbd

Thats weird and conflicting to be honest! On my iPhone, the only way I am able to send email when I'm on (non-Vodafone) work WiFi is to have the SMTP server setup with authentication and SSL enabled, with the Authentication method set to 'Password'. Nothing else works

EDIT: I've just gone to check the SMTP server details on my iPhone and now it's tell me the 'SMTP Server Username or Password is incorrect' ?

I had a $%^& of a time getting it setup to begin with, but I've been using and sending email from my iPhone for months now with this config??

What the heck????

Message 5 of 8 (1,862 Views)

Probably flogging a dead horse but I'm rasing this again in a new thread

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/iPhone-iPad/Accessing-vodafone-co-nz-email-address-from-iOS-mail...

Really it shouldn't be this hard.................

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 6 of 8 (1,861 Views)

HI Sikcapri,

Some companies block the sending of emails when using another network's server.

The smtp.vodafone.co.nz without SSL will work when you are on a Vodafone fixed line wifi connection. 

To send vodafone.co.nz emails over a non-Vodafone network:

Either:

- Use the outgoing server address of the company you are using to connect via wifi

Or

- Turn off your wifi and send your emails over mobile data, use outgoing server address is smtp2.vodafone.net.nz, no SSL, no username, no password and use port number 25.

I work in the Retail Channel Support Team. I volunteer my time here to help out.

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 8 (3,570 Views)

Hi Ruth,

smtp2.vodafone.net.nz?

That's contrary to whats listed here for the @vodafone.co.nz  email address I have:

As per my other post, a complete and iOS9 specfic list of settings would be really advantageous.

That aside as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm moving this to antoehr thread as it's gone off topic now.

‎06-10-2015 10:10 AM
Ninja Initiate

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 8 of 8 (1,827 Views)

Ok, thanks

Good luck.

I work in the Retail Channel Support Team. I volunteer my time here to help out.

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today