Data Charges

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Data Charges

by sashalangham Starter Poster
Message 1 of 15 (1,915 Views)

Hi There,

Can someone please tell me what your data charges are and roughly how much data 3 hours of Skype calling with video would use and cost?

Cheers,

Sasha

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Data Charges

[ Edited ]
by Contributor kuldhillon Contributor
Message 9 of 15 (2,671 Views)

Hi Sasha,

Below is a rough idea of the usage, please DO NOT take this as an actual usage. These are just guidelines.

As an approximate guide Skype says the following are examples of typical data usage.

• Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling
  • Calls to mobile numbers or landlines: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB for one minute of calling
  • Video calls between two mobile phone devices: 500kbps
  • Video calls between a mobile phone and a computer: 600kbps

How much data will Skype use on my mobile phone?

If you take these figures you are looking at approximately 30 MB for a video call between two mobile devices for 1 minute.

Skype also recommends different bandwidth requirements for different situations.

How much bandwidth does Skype need?

HD video calling has a recommended upload and download speed of 1.5Mbps both ways so you are looking at about 180MB per minute.

To answer your last question as Skype is a peer to peer application and will try to make the best use of the bandwidth it has available so the rate is variable and not fixed.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 15 (1,909 Views)

Hi @sashalangham 

Your question is very open ended and not really possible to answer, It's kind of like asking how much water will it take to wash my car,

Data charges change depending on addon which is active and the data bundle size of the data addon, Then this cost will change between Prepay to Postpay plans / addons,

A high resolution Skye video call will use more data as well,

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 15 (1,904 Views)

Hi @johnr 

Sorry I did not realise this.

We are purchasing a Mobile WiFi device which will be on prepay. We are looking at getting the 5GB addon which costs $80. I just would like to know a rough idea of how much data a skype call for 3 hours would use. This is for my manager so i need to come up with an answer some how haha. Are you able to tell me what the data charges are for what we are purchasing?

Cheers

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 15 (1,902 Views)

The data charges you have already advised in your post 5GB for $80

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 15 (1,900 Views)

Well I want to know how much data a 3 hour skype call would use.... roughly if I am using the 5GB add on. You stated you needed to know more information which i gave you. I am apologise if i am getting the terms wrong. 

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 6 of 15 (1,892 Views)

Hi @sashalangham - it's a difficult question to answer... I Googled 'how much data does Skype use'  and several results popped up, but I can't access the Skype Community from my work computer. Have a go at searching that though, I'm sure you'll get a better idea from the official Skype forums than if we were to guess! Smiley Happy

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 15 (1,878 Views)

Hi @Lon ,

Thank you for your message, i really appreciate your help. I will do some googling! Smiley Happy

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 8 of 15 (1,867 Views)

It will depend on the quality of the video and audio on both sides, and could vary greatly between different setups. The best thing to do would be to make a couple of typical calls over a fixed line connection and measure how much traffic this uses. Smiley Happy

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Contributor kuldhillon Contributor
Message 9 of 15 (2,672 Views)

Hi Sasha,

Below is a rough idea of the usage, please DO NOT take this as an actual usage. These are just guidelines.

As an approximate guide Skype says the following are examples of typical data usage.

• Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling
  • Calls to mobile numbers or landlines: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB for one minute of calling
  • Video calls between two mobile phone devices: 500kbps
  • Video calls between a mobile phone and a computer: 600kbps

How much data will Skype use on my mobile phone?

If you take these figures you are looking at approximately 30 MB for a video call between two mobile devices for 1 minute.

Skype also recommends different bandwidth requirements for different situations.

How much bandwidth does Skype need?

HD video calling has a recommended upload and download speed of 1.5Mbps both ways so you are looking at about 180MB per minute.

To answer your last question as Skype is a peer to peer application and will try to make the best use of the bandwidth it has available so the rate is variable and not fixed.

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster Ben01 Frequent Poster
Message 10 of 15 (1,825 Views)

I called a friend on skype using mobile data, Used 7MB for a 20 min call

Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 7 Kudos