What a great idea, buy a SIM to roam overseas with

Contributor
Accepted Solution

What a great idea, buy a SIM to roam overseas with

by Contributor Yp8ryjw8479T Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (2,778 Views)

What a great idea, buy a vodafone SIM to take with you overseas to roam with voice, SMS, and data, excellent

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/travel-sim/

- at least if you miss reading the words "travelling in new zealand". 

Great marketing guys, clear as, as usual

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert Contributor

Re: What a great idea, buy a SIM to roam overseas with

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (4,452 Views)

With all due respect, I don't think they can make it much clearer - the product is called the 'NZ Travel SIM' and then the very first line in big bold font reads 'Everything you need to stay connected while you're travelling in New Zealand'.

I fail to see the ambiguity there.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Highlighted
Expert Contributor

Message 2 of 7 (4,453 Views)

With all due respect, I don't think they can make it much clearer - the product is called the 'NZ Travel SIM' and then the very first line in big bold font reads 'Everything you need to stay connected while you're travelling in New Zealand'.

I fail to see the ambiguity there.

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Contributor

Message 3 of 7 (2,746 Views)

We'll beg to differ then.

When I an looking for a "NZ travel SIM" to use when I am overseas it sure looks like what I am after.

Expert Contributor

Message 4 of 7 (2,676 Views)

If they'd called it a Worldwide Travel SIM, then I could understand your frustration, but to be honest, there is no ambiguity here - even if you only read the first two lines, you know what it's all about - I think it is a reasonable assumption on a company's part that if someone is interested in a product that they will at least read that much.

You admitted yourself in your very first post that you realised from reading the information on the page that it was only for use in New Zealand.

It sounds to me like this is more what you are looking for: http://www.travelsim.co.nz/

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 7 (2,649 Views)

At $1.19 per MB for data I don't think so (http://www.travelsim.co.nz/Rates/),

but you are right thanks, that is the sort of thing that we should be able to get at a reasonable cost (from Vodafone), just TravelSIM costs are not reasonable.

(If you are using your phone, say with google maps, google translate, or looking up local attractions, you are likely to use say 200-500MB per day).

Here is what I'd recommend for travellers to Japan

A Japan Travel SIM (https://t.iijmio.jp/) which comes with a Brastel Card (http://www.brastel.com/Pages/eng/home/).

While the SIM doesn't play nicely with your roaming Vodafone SIM you can get good value data and voice and SMS as well if you really need it (but you may get by pertty well with VOIP (instead of voice) and messaging (instead of SMS),

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 7 (2,632 Views)

Data roaming is notoriously expensive. I read an explanation of why that is the case a while back, and it was something along the lines of all the data has to be routed back through the home carrier first etc. etc. - it's quite a process with a lot of infrastructure required. $5 roaming in countries where it is available revolutionalises this somewhat but is geographically limited (although my personal opinion on it is that people should be charged at standard roaming rates until their daily usage reaches $5 but that's somewhat off topic).

One thing that Spark have done well recently is the creation of their Aussie roaming pack - an opt in pack for both prepaid and postpay where on can have a certain allocation of data, minutes and texts with zero rated incoming calls - I wouldn't mind seeing Vodafone coming up with similar opt in packs for the top destinations NZers travel to.

Roaming is always going to be a tricky one as it is never likely to be as cheap as buying a local SIM - you're literally paying for the convenience of keeping your own number etc. and so it is up to you as an end user as to what your preference is.

Interestingly, the link you have provided to the Japan Travel SIM is a similar concept to the NZ Travel SIM that vodafone NZ is offering to international tourists coming here.

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 7 (2,620 Views)

The prepay connection when activated is called ' TravelNZ ' and the connection is sent a number of SMS at the time of activation,

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 5 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today