VDSL is giving me slightly slower speed than ADSL 2+ (I'm approx 2.9 km from cabinet) - any help?

New Poster

VDSL is giving me slightly slower speed than ADSL 2+ (I'm approx 2.9 km from cabinet) - any help?

by caersyrione New Poster
Message 1 of 3 (97 Views)

Hi,

I was getting 12-13 mbps with my ADSL connection and then I swapped to VDSL.  Now, I only get around 10-11 mbps typically and often the actual speed is less than that (at peak times).

Vodafone told me I'm 2.9km from the cabinet/exchange and my contact said he would have expected better results.  He said that VDSL becomes not so great after 4 - 4.5km from a cabinet.

My current stats are:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):  992
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):  10589
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):  1016
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):  12205
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):  6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):  8.1
Upstream line attenuation (dB):  16.9
Downstream line attenuation (dB):   35.8

I don't have a phone line, so my wiring from the street comes directly to the modem (HG659).

Can any tell me if this is normal?  Is there any way to find out if a better VDSL speed is possible?

Thanks, Carey

New Poster

Re: VDSL is giving me slightly slower speed than ADSL 2+ (I'm approx 2.9 km from cabinet) - any help

by MichaelJones New Poster
Message 2 of 3 (66 Views)

Hey there, 

We'll need to check a few things on our end, and we'll discuss further from there.

Could you send me a private message with your customer number? 

Thanks, 

Michael

Highlighted
Staff

Re: VDSL is giving me slightly slower speed than ADSL 2+ (I'm approx 2.9 km from cabinet) - any help

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 3 of 3 (64 Views)

VDSL serviceability is 1km. At 1.5kms you will get ADSL or less than ADSL speeds plus a high amount of disconnections. ADSL is good till 5kms and at 6kms it starts becoming un-useable. 

So thumb-rule, if you're over 1km, better to stay on ADSL.

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.